gas bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

Working on a remodel. In this particular area they want the gas pipe bonded to the electrical service. When I asked the inspector at what location, he pointed to pipes are on the house side of the meter (the gas meter is not presently installed). Is this the correct point to bond to? Thanks,

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Only if there's CSST installed. Then you should be bonding on the house side of the meter. FWIW, politely ask him to cite the code section.

aftershock

Not meaning to highjack this thread,but would there be an issue with bonding the gas line from a 100 amp sub panel which sits less than 6' from the gas meter?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Perhaps NO.

Bonding of gas piping is contingent upon "likely to become energized".

What if the circuit likely to energize the gas line is the subpanel feeder, or branch circuits originating therein...

250.104(B) said:
The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Working on a remodel. In this particular area they want the gas pipe bonded to the electrical service. When I asked the inspector at what location, he pointed to pipes are on the house side of the meter (the gas meter is not presently installed). Is this the correct point to bond to? Thanks,
The NEC does not specify the bonding point. However, with the requirement kicking in for piping installed in or on the building or structure, I assume it best to bond at a point that is in or on the building or structure, rather than some point that is away from the building or structure.

aftershock

Perhaps NO.

What if the circuit likely to energize the gas line is the subpanel feeder, or branch circuits originating therein...

Unfortunately the only thing in this sub panel that would likely energize the gas line would be the 110v for the tankless wh's all other gas related circuits are in the main panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Perhaps NO.

If we are talking CSST then it must go to the main panel. I assume he meant CSST using #8

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Unfortunately the only thing in this sub panel that would likely energize the gas line would be the 110v for the tankless wh's all other gas related circuits are in the main panel.
You do realize you can use the EGC's of those circuits??? The NEC does not prohibit multiple circuits EGC's from being bonded to the gas piping.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Perhaps NO.

If we are talking CSST then it must go to the main panel. I assume he meant CSST using #8

Both could be correct. 110.3(B)

Any inspectors have a problem with adding some black iron near the main panel like in the pic so he only need 6' to bond?

I would pass it.

PH22564.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Both could be correct. 110.3(B)

Any inspectors have a problem with adding some black iron near the main panel like in the pic so he only need 6' to bond?

I would pass it.

View attachment 7467

Problem may be the International Gas Code:

7.13.2 CSST. CSST gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service
grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building.
The bonding jumper shall not be smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building.

Guess I would NOT pass it! :ashamed1:

Also:

5.There are additional metallic house line requirements when extending house lines through exterior walls. In addition to existing requirements, Columbia Gas of Ohio requires that the piping used on the section of house lines that extends through the exterior walls to connect to the meter setting be a minimum of Schedule 40 steel pipe. This section must be securely anchored inside the structure, which will enhance the stability of the meter setting. It will also simplify the placement of bonding clamps when using CSST products.

http://www.columbiagasohio.com/en/your-business/new-business-service.aspx

For those who would like a copy meter placement go here:

http://www.columbiagasohio.com/Libraries/Info_for_Plumbers/COH-Meter-Placement-Guide.sflb

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
The problem with this picture is those fittings a generally designed for pipe not multisided fittings. The clamp should be on the pipe not the fitting.

Rick there is no problem with the picture, it is showing an hybrid gas line connection between schedole 40 black pipe and a CSST fitting and a clamp designed specifically for atachment to the nut on the CSST with a UL label and listing of 467.

aftershock

Hmmm. We have always used 8 AWG, but the gas meter was always on the same wall as the electrical service. I'm gonna have to get with the AHJ on this one.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Hmmm. We have always used 8 AWG, but the gas meter was always on the same wall as the electrical service. I'm gonna have to get with the AHJ on this one.[/QUOTE

Minimum wire size for bonding in residential required by all CSST manufacturers has been set at 6 AWG copper or equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.