Grounding Electrode in Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm going to wire an addition at an office/warehouse. Are there any requirements to ground the reinforning steel in the foundation? I know it is required for new construction but don't know about an addition.

jumper

If a CEE is already existing at the building, a second one is not required.

250.52(A)(3).......If multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present at
a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond
only one into the grounding electrode system.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If a CEE is already existing at the building, a second one is not required.

250.52(A)(3).......If multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present at
a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond
only one into the grounding electrode system.

Good point. I 'assumed' none present in the existing. :slaphead:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The NEC does not specifically require any CEE, or bonding of foundation reinforcing steel.
I suppose I should elaborate...

I mean the NEC doesn't require a CEE to be constructed. The NEC requires one to be included in the GES if it is present, but it first has to qualify as a CEE.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are not changing the service in any way, do you have to change, update, or whatever the grounding electrodes that may or may not be connected to the service? It certainly doesn't hurt to add this CEE even if not reqired, but I don't know that you have to add it.

kwired

Electron manager
The building doesn't have one now (CEE). If they have reinforcing in the new foundation I will connect to existing GES

Nothing wrong with that, my question (and maybe yours) was do you have to do that - especially if no changes are to be made to the service. Does adding a qualifying grounding electrode automatically mean it must be connected to the grounding electrode system?

If you have a building that gets a plumbing upgrade and a qualifying water pipe electrode is installed but no electrical work was done .... Is that supposed to have a GEC run to it? It is probably a good idea, but until electrical service is someday changed does it have to be done?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
He said if new steel qualifies... which includes size, yes?

(1) One or more bare or zinc galvanized or other electrically
conductive coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of
not less than 13 mm (1⁄2 in.) in diameter, installed in
one continuous 6.0 m (20 ft) length, or if in multiple
pieces connected together by the usual steel tie wires,
exothermic welding, welding, or other effective means
to create a 6.0 m (20 ft) or greater length; or

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Nothing wrong with that, my question (and maybe yours) was do you have to do that - especially if no changes are to be made to the service. Does adding a qualifying grounding electrode automatically mean it must be connected to the grounding electrode system?

If you have a building that gets a plumbing upgrade and a qualifying water pipe electrode is installed but no electrical work was done .... Is that supposed to have a GEC run to it? It is probably a good idea, but until electrical service is someday changed does it have to be done?
Your question is definitely noteworthy. I imagine whether it is required or not is going to vary.

My opinion is yes, it should be added (as in required to be connected), where there is new electrical work to be done in the building addition. If no new electrical work??? I don't feel the requirement to add it should be based solely on whether the service is being modified.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Your question is definitely noteworthy. I imagine whether it is required or not is going to vary.

My opinion is yes, it should be added (as in required to be connected), where there is new electrical work to be done in the building addition. If no new electrical work??? I don't feel the requirement to add it should be based solely on whether the service is being modified.

I look at it this way both installer and inspector should have certain items on a checklist (physical or mental checklist take your pick)

Check list for installing a service should include:

1. service conductors - size, type, overcurrent protection, load calculation, etc., issues related to specific conductors or cables.
2. service equipment - rated for service equipment, 110.26 issues, load calculation, number of disconnects, etc.
3. grounding -grounding electrodes, grounding electrode conductor, system bonding jumper, identification of grounded conductors

check list for installing a branch circuit will not contain same items may look more like:

1. what is the load supplied and which code section(s) apply?
2. what is the maximum load and what size conductors are needed - including deration issues if encountered
3. raceway or cable installation issues.
4. equipment grounding

there may be more to the list but grounding electrodes or grounding electrode conductors is not something that would normally come up in a check list for branch circuits or feeders that do not supply separate structures.

Again it doesn't hurt to add a CEE to the system - and I do use the new footing for that in many cases but not because I feel I have to - I think is just good idea if there is no current CEE.

mkgrady

After reading all the posts I still don't know if I need to ground the reinforcing steel. I assume the building addition will have a qualifying CEE. Everybody agrees that it is a good idea but I don't know if the code requires that I connect it. It will be a long run back to the service and I hope to be able to explain to the owner whether or not it is code or his decision to pay for it or not.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
After reading all the posts I still don't know if I need to ground the reinforcing steel. I assume the building addition will have a qualifying CEE. Everybody agrees that it is a good idea but I don't know if the code requires that I connect it. It will be a long run back to the service and I hope to be able to explain to the owner whether or not it is code or his decision to pay for it or not.

If no other CEE is present then yes you will have to use the new one if it meets the requirements that I posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.