Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Am in reading this NEC section right?

If installing/fishing MC cable down a finished wall( say in renovation work) it does not have to be supported? Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Yes. Done all of the time in commercial renovation work.

Did you read the question thoroughly? This is cable that has been fished into place according to OP.

330.30(D) permits fishing "between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impractical".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Did you read the question thoroughly? This is cable that has been fished into place according to OP.

330.30(D) permits fishing "between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impractical".

OK I read it, was my answer incorrect?

kwired

Electron manager
OK I read it, was my answer incorrect?
I guess it depends what the question is. The fished cable is still supported, but is not supported according to 330.30 parts A thru C. D allows A thru C to be disregarded when fishing through access points in finished applications where normal supporting is impractical.

I believe most of the support rules are there to keep the cable in place until the building finish is applied to prevent damage when installing building finishes. Once the finish is on (which is the case when fishing cables) that risk of damage is for the most part gone.

Jon456

Am I missing something??

I think the problem here is how the question and initial answer are being read.

The OP asked: "If installing/fishing MC cable down a finished wall( say in renovation work) it does not have to be supported?"

To which Infinity answered (to the question in bold above): "Yes" (meaning, the cable does not have to be supported).

jumper

I think the problem here is how the question and initial answer are being read.

The OP asked: "If installing/fishing MC cable down a finished wall( say in renovation work) it does not have to be supported?"

To which Infinity answered (to the question in bold above): "Yes" (meaning, the cable does not have to be supported).

That is what I see also. Infinity was correct.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Please show me the NEC section that allows the connection to an old work box to secure a cable.

(D) Unsupported Cables. Type MC cable shall be permitted
to be unsupported where the cable:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces
in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impractical;
or
(2) Is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) in length from the last
point of cable support to the point of connection to
luminaires or other electrical equipment and the cable
and point of connection are within an accessible ceiling.
For the purpose of this section, Type MC cable
fittings shall be permitted as a means of cable support.

I know it says support.

Status
Not open for further replies.