Anyone heard from these people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Everything away from Omaha and Lincoln metro areas is pretty much "very rural" with a scattering of occasional 10-20K population cities, but even more common is 5K or less population cities. Distance between any city or village starts to increase in western 1/2 of the state.

There is still one incorporated village near northern border with a population of one. Used to be population of two until the husband passed away.

That is rural, for sure.

I did some business recently with a guy that travels a lot. He was doing some business in Goldsboro, the town south of my home town. I asked him how business there went. Among other things, he said "it's a small town, like any other". I laughed & told him Goldsboro was not a small town. Told him to ride through my town & the others nearby to see a small town. All relative to where one grew up. A New Yorker would think our biggest cities in NC are small towns. A rural person here often thinks our cities are crowded and noisy. He'd really feel swallowed in New York or Chicago.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Years ago we moved from a house in the country which was not quite in the center of a section (1 mile by 1 mile) with the closest neighbor over a 1/2 mile a away. We moved to a small town of about 300. My in-laws came to visit from a town of about 20,000. They did not sleep well because the town was to quiet. My wife & and I thought the place was to danged noisy.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Years ago we moved from a house in the country which was not quite in the center of a section (1 mile by 1 mile) with the closest neighbor over a 1/2 mile a away. We moved to a small town of about 300. My in-laws came to visit from a town of about 20,000. They did not sleep well because the town was to quiet. My wife & and I thought the place was to danged noisy.

I had to read that twice to understand it. That must have been a shock moving to such a big town:D

My dad was raised in a town like that and I spent a lot of time there as a kid and a young adult. I used to joke that the sign on the edge of town said "welcome to and thank you for coming" on the same side. People in that town knew I was in town, before I knew I was in town. You would have people come by and say, "oh I heard you were in town". You did? I just got here.:happyyes:

jmellc

Occupation
I had to read that twice to understand it. That must have been a shock moving to such a big town:D

My dad was raised in a town like that and I spent a lot of time there as a kid and a young adult. I used to joke that the sign on the edge of town said "welcome to and thank you for coming" on the same side. People in that town knew I was in town, before I knew I was in town. You would have people come by and say, "oh I heard you were in town". You did? I just got here.:happyyes:

Yes,that's because your family there told everyone in town you were coming. Anyone likes having a favorite relative to visit, but especially in a smaller town.

jmellc

Occupation

Just a little smaller than my small town. I hated it growing up there, but I'd move back there in a heartbeat now if circumstances allowed.

jmellc

Occupation
5 days now since I asked him for references. No reply. I'm sure I've heard the last of them.

jmellc

Occupation
I got an e mail today from Morgan Franks, responding to my question about the $68 fee to the payment processor. Said "We are holding up on this. Please disregard".

kwired

Electron manager
I got an e mail today from Morgan Franks, responding to my question about the $68 fee to the payment processor. Said "We are holding up on this. Please disregard".

Tell him he can have his $68.00 fee, but to just withhold it from your first payment, that you likely will never see.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Just a little smaller than my small town. I hated it growing up there, but I'd move back there in a heartbeat now if circumstances allowed.

The town my dad was raised in, the kids couldn't wait to move out. Most of them end up coming back and raising their families there.

kwired

Electron manager
The town my dad was raised in, the kids couldn't wait to move out. Most of them end up coming back and raising their families there.

That happens a lot here also. Especially when they start having children and realize the city is not as good of a place to raise them.

G._S._Ohm

"The intended victims are known as marks or suckers."

They're trolling for marks.
If you want to harm them take up as much of their time as you can. Not calling them back does them a favor.
If you learn their head games you can probably tie them up indefinitely.

I had a crooked company trying to hire me. They were very skillful. It was like I got a bad smell/instinct occasionally but when I looked for the cause I found nothing. After several of these warnings I bailed.

I considered notifying the state licensing agency but my accusations would have been too vague.

Mike Lang

I have to agree with the rest of you guys. Whenever I hear "don't worry about pricing" or "you don't have to worry about getting paid" I know from experience and being ripped off more times than I care to admit, and for enough money to make me sick. It's most certainly a scam or a customer with no intentions on paying from the start.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have to agree with the rest of you guys. Whenever I hear "don't worry about pricing" or "you don't have to worry about getting paid" I know from experience and being ripped off more times than I care to admit, and for enough money to make me sick. It's most certainly a scam or a customer with no intentions on paying from the start.

when someone says "you don't have to worry about getting paid", there are only
two reasons for that to be correct.

1. i HAVE been paid, and the check is cleared the bank.

2. I'M NOT EVER GONNA SEE A PENNY FROM THIS GUY, and need not worry at
all about getting paid for that reason.

so, when someone tells me that, i first check rule #1, and if that isn't the case,
rule #2 applies.

people who aren't cheats don't have to reassure people that they aren't cheats.
it never even occurs to them to assume you might have a concern about getting
paid.

stevenje

We moved ten years ago from a metro area with a population of 3.2 million to five miles outside a town of 600 people. It is thirty miles between the closest stop lights. Best thing we ever did.

kwired

Electron manager
We moved ten years ago from a metro area with a population of 3.2 million to five miles outside a town of 600 people. It is thirty miles between the closest stop lights. Best thing we ever did.

I moved from a town of only 1700 people to 7 miles outside of town, still best thing I ever did.

GUNNING

Im about sworn off of service and warranty companies. It is always for free or you end up being the bad guy or mark.
I have a list of three things I do

go where the money is and finish projects
no restaurants or service co's
reliability

I forgot to look at the qualifying list when I got my last home warranty service call. I got a check for the trip from the owner but not the service company. Got parts paid for but not time. I wasn't doing anything anyway.

In FL you need to have a state licensed qualifier to contract in the state. I rarely see that.
When Service Magic or even Angies list calls I ask
"You Licensed?"
That makes the conversation more interesting when they find out they are committing a felony and I have their information.

Status
Not open for further replies.