time to hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

we are needing to hire another tech for our next service van. I would like to do an add on the web but am not real familiar with sites to post job listings on. i know monster.com but google electric jobs and millions of sites to choose from. Has anyone used a site to find or post a job ? What are the top sites for electrician job searchers?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Odd he was out of work Dennis, no? Or was he just trying to upgrade?
This was 4 years ago-- he worked for a large company and was the last man hired so when things went bad he was gone first. The big companies don't seem to keep track of their workers when there are 75 men in the company.

It turned out that he went to school with my daughter and he remembered me coming into 5th grade class and doing magic tricks for them. He said "Didn't you do magic trick at the FPG elementary school?" Small world and I can't believe he remembered.

stickboy1375

This was 4 years ago-- he worked for a large company and was the last man hired so when things went bad he was gone first. The big companies don't seem to keep track of their workers when there are 75 men in the company.

It turned out that he went to school with my daughter and he remembered me coming into 5th grade class and doing magic tricks for them. He said "Didn't you do magic trick at the FPG elementary school?" Small world and I can't believe he remembered.

Cool story. :)

Rewire

craigslist didn't attract the quality of tech we needed I know that the younger crowd uses the web more so i think an on line add would draw a wider group of candidiates.

G0049

And I can't believe you haven't done any magic tricks for us.:D

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Put an add up in the supply house. I'm a believer in hiring good help away from the competition. :bye:

That is one place I have not advertised for help at but I did get one via a suppliers secretary. She said "My brother in law is 18 and just sitting around home doing nothing. Don't you have something he could do?" She is long gone but he has been around 20 years or so,

cadpoint

If you go to an employment site that has a place that an employer can sign in/up and post a job,
you might be ahead of the curve.

I have two accounts at two different e-sites, I receive mail weekly and read the openings, it's a hang over from another life.

I'm even getting job offfers and the odd phone call from these.

I frankly don't see, what's the big deal...

__dan

Banned
Me too.

I like work and have a high tolerance for BS.

Just give me the job address and get out of the way.

Rewire

Me too.

I like work and have a high tolerance for BS.

Just give me the job address and get out of the way.

So when you get to the house where do you park the van, do you ring the doorbell or do you knock, when the door is opened what do you do,do you ues their first name or their last ,what do you do before entering the house,what should you have with you?

PetrosA

So when you get to the house where do you park the van, do you ring the doorbell or do you knock, when the door is opened what do you do,do you ues their first name or their last ,what do you do before entering the house,what should you have with you?

This shouldn't be a list of questions, but a list of procedures if you have a certain way you want things done. As a list of questions, you're going to end up intimidating a prospective electrician, and that's not going to work in your favor over the long run. I can justify multiple answers to any but the last question, only because I was trained to never walk to a job or service call empty handed - I always carry my tool pouch in with me when I first arrive but again, this is something YOU need to train them for.

Status
Not open for further replies.