Football Field Power Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARF

Folks, we have been asked to provide duplex receptacles below grade in boxes at the corners of the sidelines for video cameras, computers ,etc. We intend to provide GFCI receptacles with nema 3R boxes/covers but are concerned about nuisance tripping. Any suggestions would be appreciated to minimize multiple call backs ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Folks, we have been asked to provide duplex receptacles below grade in boxes at the corners of the sidelines for video cameras, computers ,etc. We intend to provide GFCI receptacles with nema 3R boxes/covers but are concerned about nuisance tripping. Any suggestions would be appreciated to minimize multiple call backs ?

What do you mean by below grade?

Outdoor GFCIs trip on a regular basis. It is just the nature of the beast.

kwired

Electron manager
I think careful design is called for to ensure there is no accumulation of water within whatever you do end up using, both while in use and while not in use. That will help with "nuisance" tripping because of moisture within the enclosure, but tripping is to be expected if non watertight cord connectors are used anyplace and are subjected to wet conditions. (They generally do not stop play of this sport because of rain)

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Don't feed anything from the LOAD side of a GFCI (unless it is in the same hole). A tripped GFCI that isn't on the faceplate where the cord goes will be impossible for a camera guy or someone else to track down. By the time they find a Facility guy, the game will be over.

ARF

Football Field Power Outlets.

Football Field Power Outlets.

Petersonra, the outlets are to be mounted in a buried box with the lid flush with the field level. the outlets will be in the box approximately 12" below the field level.

I wondered if anyone had used a specific product that might be suiteable for this application and less likely to cause problems.
Thanks to everyone your input is much appreciated.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Petersonra, the outlets are to be mounted in a buried box with the lid flush with the field level. the outlets will be in the box approximately 12" below the field level.

I wondered if anyone had used a specific product that might be suiteable for this application and less likely to cause problems.
Thanks to everyone your input is much appreciated.

As often as this is done, you would think someone would fill this market void with a product, there may be something out there and they just haven't advertised it correctly, or maybe it's prohibitively expensive to produce.

ARF

As often as this is done, you would think someone would fill this market void with a product, there may be something out there and they just haven't advertised it correctly, or maybe it's prohibitively expensive to produce.

That was my thinking. I've completed a lot of online searches with no luck so thought I would dip a toe in the genius pool.

How's the drainage? If you set the box directly on clay, it'll fill up with water in no time at all. Unless the dirt drains very well, I'd dig down at least a foot lower than the box and fill that up with gravel, making it a "dry well". Also make sure the customer knows that the outlets will get wet, they will trip, and they will need replacing more often than expected.

Do they need video or data cable in the same locations? Might run two 3" PVC conduits into each box from more central locations and let the TV/etc people pull temp. power cables in themselves. (Most higher-end wired cameras power over their video cable.)

What wiring method are you using?

kwired

Electron manager
How's the drainage? If you set the box directly on clay, it'll fill up with water in no time at all. Unless the dirt drains very well, I'd dig down at least a foot lower than the box and fill that up with gravel, making it a "dry well". Also make sure the customer knows that the outlets will get wet, they will trip, and they will need replacing more often than expected.

Do they need video or data cable in the same locations? Might run two 3" PVC conduits into each box from more central locations and let the TV/etc people pull temp. power cables in themselves. (Most higher-end wired cameras power over their video cable.)

Drainage is going to be big issue with anything below grade, and especially outside of the main playing field. I would assume this is not desired to be right at edge of playing field as it will introduce tripping hazards to athletes. It is more likely to be desired to place it least 15 - 20 feet away from playing field - which is typically in the area where in most cases will be a low spot for facility drainage - the idea is usually to make sure the playing field drains well and the area outside the playing field will be where accumulation first happens if it is raining harder than drainage can take it away.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

You might find this of interest regarding this: http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=1222. I don't think it is commercially available yet, but it may be worth your time to contact them.
I think that installing a receptacle below grade without an approved device/assembly is asking for trouble from a reliability and safety standpoint.

ARF

You might find this of interest regarding this: http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=1222. I don't think it is commercially available yet, but it may be worth your time to contact them.
I think that installing a receptacle below grade without an approved device/assembly is asking for trouble from a reliability and safety standpoint.

Texie, thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that one before. Certainly worth consideration. Only concern might be tripping hazard.
I agree with you on your reliability/safety comment.

ARF

Zbang, drainage seems to be good. Hopefully I can limit the customer's repair/replacement issues and any future frustration.
They have not requested TV/Video cables at these locations at the moment.
Running schedule 40 pvc between boxes.
Thanks for your comments.

ARF

Drainage is going to be big issue with anything below grade, and especially outside of the main playing field. I would assume this is not desired to be right at edge of playing field as it will introduce tripping hazards to athletes. It is more likely to be desired to place it least 15 - 20 feet away from playing field - which is typically in the area where in most cases will be a low spot for facility drainage - the idea is usually to make sure the playing field drains well and the area outside the playing field will be where accumulation first happens if it is raining harder than drainage can take it away.

Thanks Kwired, all good points. will keep them in mind in layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.