Receptacle/switch in dwelling unit bathroom near whirlpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

namera

I have a 2 gang box with a GFI receptacle and a light switch mounted on a wall that has a seperation (horizantal plane) of 4 1/2" between, the edge of the cover plate and the edge (long side,entring side) of a whirlpool tub. The tub (short side) is sitting about 11 1/2" away from the this wall. Another word, the wall that has the devices is not quite adjecent to the tub. The owner is framing around the tub to do granite, and that will create 5" extension . Are the devices still out of the wet area?

namera

Well, the inspector rejected the installations. He is going off the edge of the granite counter. I brought up article 680, part VII and talked about wet area as defined in the code, but he did not buy it. What he claims is not even in the local code. But he is the AHJ and against my will, the box is moved so I can get it behind me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 406.6(C) states that receptacles shall not be installed directly over a bathtub or shower stall. If it is not over the tub then there is no issue. I would show him the article just so he might learn something.

Now what does over the tub mean-- the ceiling? The back wall?- how far off the back wall or side walls? IMO, over the tub is in the ceiling but I am not sure that is what the intent would be.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Well, the inspector rejected the installations. He is going off the edge of the granite counter. I brought up article 680, part VII and talked about wet area as defined in the code, but he did not buy it. What he claims is not even in the local code. But he is the AHJ and against my will, the box is moved so I can get it behind me.
Move it to show that you're co-operating with him, then flood him with references, opinions, etc. to prove he is wrong, he'll be more likely to listen to you next time.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would consider over the tub to be over the footprint of the tub. Think of the same zone as the 3' restricted area for hanging fixtures, except not reaching out the 3'.

Rewire

I have a 2 gang box with a GFI receptacle and a light switch mounted on a wall that has a seperation (horizantal plane) of 4 1/2" between, the edge of the cover plate and the edge (long side,entring side) of a whirlpool tub. The tub (short side) is sitting about 11 1/2" away from the this wall. Another word, the wall that has the devices is not quite adjecent to the tub. The owner is framing around the tub to do granite, and that will create 5" extension . Are the devices still out of the wet area?

sorry but the 5 in extension changes the footprint of the tub see 404.4 and 408.8D the recep mustbe outside the tub footprint

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would consider over the tub to be over the footprint of the tub. Think of the same zone as the 3' restricted area for hanging fixtures, except not reaching out the 3'.
How far out???? If it is over the tub then it must be the ceiling. Suppose there is a wall on three sides with 3' ?, 2' ? or 1" ? Would that be compliant on those walls? It is not clear to me but as written I see the ceiling

namera

The outlet is moved to make him happy. I had no problem moving it if it was not in compliance with NEC or local code. No where I could find any requirement that referes to measurring off the edge of the counter. 680.71 makes reference to inside wall of the tub and 410.4D makes reference to tub rim.(NEC 2005). For some reason he did not think that the Whirlpool falls under 680.VII. The same project involved extension of the existing closet and he was requiring that outlets shall have AFCI protection. He accepted my challenge on this one that per 2005, AFCI is not required in closets. Like I said, Installation of electrical system shall be IAW applicable code and us as contractors are responsible for the kind of work that we put out. At the same time we are trying to make a leaving out of this and with the market being so compettive, when something like this comes up, not only you dont make any profit, you may loose some money too.

I think in the residential code but also for obvious life safety reasons. Once got a comment from a plans reviewer, don't remember what code reference he cited. Maybe NEC should clarify this in future editions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think in the residential code but also for obvious life safety reasons. Once got a comment from a plans reviewer, don't remember what code reference he cited. Maybe NEC should clarify this in future editions.
It is clarified IMO, unless it specifically states what you stated then it is not an issue. Now it could be in other codes but I have never run across it as an issue.

Believe it or not the pic below is compliant since the fixtures are rated damp location.

ry%3D400

Here is the switch deal-- old graphic and art. is not the same.

ry%3D400

iwire

Staff member
I think in the residential code but also for obvious life safety reasons.

I must assume you have never been in a small apartment bathroom. In many cases it would be imposable to locate the switches out of reach of the tub and within reach of the door.

Here is the relevant code section from the 2011 NEC

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations.

(C) Switches in Tub or Shower Spaces.
Switches shall
not be installed within tubs or shower spaces unless installed
as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.