Frankenstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess by now many of us have heard about this "Frankenstorm" due to slam into the east coast early next week. All of the local stores have sold out of there portable generators and I've already gotten a call about hooking up a temporary generator over the weekend just in case. Just wondering, if you were asked to, how would you wire a temporary portable generator? I'm guessing that in-feed boxes and generator cord sets aren't locally available either.

coffeebean

I received two calls today about installing portable generators.Pro Tran sells a nice 6 circuit kit that includes a twist lock enclosure and a 10 foot 30a cord with male and female ends.I know that there will not be a generator,transfer switch or a gas can available in NJ

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We have pulled meters and made connections by backfeeding smaller cbs. Disconnecting or locking out main breakers. All depends on what you have to work with and if you are sure you will be back to set things right. I refuse to make connections via double male ended cords.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The call came from a friend of a friend. As much as I would like to help someone out I'm not really looking to rig something up illegally or dangerously. I thought of a backfed CB with a lockout on the main and a padlock as a temporary fix. The only problem with that is that you would need to be there when the power went off and when it came back on to install and remove the lock.

kbsparky

I have a brand-new 20 kW LP gas powered Kohler generator sitting in the warehouse for a project that we have underway. Still in the packing crate. And, a 200 Amp transfer switch, although it has a NEMA-1 enclosure.

You think I could sell it next week for a handsome profit, and then order another one for my present project?

I really won't need it for at least another couple of months .... ;)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The call came from a friend of a friend. As much as I would like to help someone out I'm not really looking to rig something up illegally or dangerously. I thought of a backfed CB with a lockout on the main and a padlock as a temporary fix. The only problem with that is that you would need to be there when the power went off and when it came back on to install and remove the lock.
I would have no problem locking out the main and backfeeding a breaker. As far as the timing- unless there is a large amount of travel time involved the friend will be all right waiting a bit for you to get there and staying on the generator till you get back once power is restored.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I guess by now many of us have heard about this "Frankenstorm" due to slam into the east coast early next week. All of the local stores have sold out of there portable generators and I've already gotten a call about hooking up a temporary generator over the weekend just in case. Just wondering, if you were asked to, how would you wire a temporary portable generator? I'm guessing that in-feed boxes and generator cord sets aren't locally available either.

Just got word today we may be coming to visit. I believe Conn. is asking for 2000 linemen. Don't know why. Where are they going to put them?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Yea, we're sending guys up to cover North Carolina, we already have guys in the Jersey and Virginia area. I was in Mid Florida earlier today, they originally was showing it going out away from the states.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

For Frankenstorm?

A couple of lighting rods tied to big alligator clips, and large open knife-switch sounds approporate. Maybe throw in a jacob's ladder for effect. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just got word today we may be coming to visit. I believe Conn. is asking for 2000 linemen. Don't know why. Where are they going to put them?

Just looked at a computer model on the news and the center of the storm seems to be heading directly for Southern NJ. Combine that with the cold front heading in from the west and this could be a storm of epic proportions.

iwire

Staff member
I would have no problem locking out the main and backfeeding a breaker.

Even code compliant

Exception: Temporary connection of a portable generator
without transfer equipment shall be permitted where conditions
of maintenance and supervision ensure that only
qualified persons service the installation and where the
normal supply is physically isolated by a lockable disconnecting
means or by disconnection of the normal supply
conductors.

iwire

Staff member
The only problem with that is that you would need to be there when the power went off and when it came back on to install and remove the lock.

Yeah, we do a lot of that and are planing on doing some more next week.

Sometimes the generators stay in place running for many hours extra until we can coordinate a switch over.

Gold

Just looked at a computer model on the news and the center of the storm seems to be heading directly for Southern NJ. Combine that with the cold front heading in from the west and this could be a storm of epic proportions.

The one model actually shows the eye centered perfectly over my house.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Anyone calling you now for a generator hook up didn't learn their lesson from last year's 2 storms. As far as I'm concerned they are S-O-L. On wednesday HD had about 40 generators outside their doors and by noon they were all gone. I've tried to place orders early in the week "on-line" for accessory equipment (i.e power cords, power inlet boxes, etc.) and they're already on back-order. Unless we get extreme cold with this storm you won't have to worry about home heating systems. They can run extension cords for their refers and plug-in lamps.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We do a lot of orange box hurricane duty, I was babysitting a generator at one store when they brought in a tractor trailer load of generators. They had a line of customers parked from the front of the store stretching all the way around the outside edge of the parking lot, to the back of the store. They sold every one of the generators in about an hour and a half. About 10% of them came back because they wouldn't crank or other issues. One liquored up bunch came back with a $1800 portable generator claiming it ran good for the first tank of gas, but when they filled it back up with gas and OIL......it would not crank anymore. Found out they turned it up on its side, removed the oil plug and filled it up until oil ran out. They had hydrolocked it by overfilling with oil! Drained the oil, changed out the oil soaked air filter, put in a new spark plug, and sent them on their way!:roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone calling you now for a generator hook up didn't learn their lesson from last year's 2 storms. As far as I'm concerned they are S-O-L. On wednesday HD had about 40 generators outside their doors and by noon they were all gone. I've tried to place orders early in the week "on-line" for accessory equipment (i.e power cords, power inlet boxes, etc.) and they're already on back-order. Unless we get extreme cold with this storm you won't have to worry about home heating systems. They can run extension cords for their refers and plug-in lamps.

I'm happy for them given that fact that they were actually able to buy one. Finding one is 90% of the problem, getting someone to rig it up is the other 10%. ;)

Given that this is the third potentially devastating storm in 12 months I foresee a great demand for generator in the coming months around here.

stickboy1375

CL&P, (Connecticut power company) really dropped the ball last october after a freak snow storm, so they don't want to make the same mistake. :)

Steviechia2

Installed 3 with the panel interlock kits last this week. I called yesterday for cord caps, cord and anything having to do with generator and everything is back ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.