Frankenstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

How will it get done?

I suppose it's in the nature of people, especially managers and engineers, to think in terms of massive, uniform projects. They've been doing that since the Pyramids were built. Yet, that's not really the way things get done.

For example: The "New World" was settled, tamed, and ultimately became the world's "Superpower" one wagon, one log cabin, at a time.

Everyone affected by this tiny tempest had their own little challenges to face - and they can start by addressing them. No power? Don't wait for ConEd to build the next super-dome ..... how about Joe Six-Pack making sure he can get along with little or no electricity? Fears of criminal gangs? Well, maybe some of the poitical choices made over the years need reconsideration.

I'll bet Crown Heights was affected. There are two distinct groups in Crown Heights. I'll bet one weathered the storm a whole lot better than the other. The others ought to learn from them! Because next time you might be on your own. One need not be an Amish farmer in a rural setting to be 'self reliant.'

Again, look to Joplin. There are specific reasons why Joplin had quite the opposite experience as New Orleans. Tree in the road? Get out the saw and remove it - no waiting for 'somebody' to do it. No refrigeration? Fire up the stove and feed everyone for free- beats letting it spoil! Looting? Not in MY town! Both hospitals hurt by the same storm? Maybe we need to rebuild them farther apart.

That, necessarily, points the focus away from 'things' and back to 'culture.' There are plenty of places that have greater resources and more experience than us, yet remain stuck in the the Middle Ages. I fear that our 'management by crisis' mentality can only lead us in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.