Chandelier over Bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfman56

I've got a guy that has been bugging me to install a chandelier over his bath tub. I measured it and it would be probably just at seven feet from the bottom of the tub.

And now at a second house I've been asked the same request!

Does anyone know of a legal way that would pass '08 code to do this?

Rick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It must be 8' over the shower threshold or bathtub rim. That's all you can do and this chandelier thing is becoming very popular. It makes them angry but too bad- I wont install it in those areas

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It must be 8' over the shower threshold or bathtub rim. That's all you can do and this chandelier thing is becoming very popular. It makes them angry but too bad- I wont install it in those areas

i hate leaving money behind....
would suggesting a 12 volt LED fixture of their choice be acceptable?......

and put the transformer on a separate gfci all it's own, so the primary
is protected, and the secondary is isolated, and only 12 volts?

but i won't even replace a pool light that has burned out unless i
do it with a 12 volt LED unit....

"by god, we can get this done, if it takes every penny this poor
fellow has"........

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
i hate leaving money behind....
would suggesting a 12 volt LED fixture of their choice be acceptable?......

and put the transformer on a separate gfci all it's own, so the primary
is protected, and the secondary is isolated, and only 12 volts?
Probably safer than any other light in the house, but not allowed if it is in the zone.
"by god, we can get this done, if it takes every penny this poor
fellow has"........
I'm going to steal that one.

Rick Christopherson

You can have a receptacle outlet within inches of the tub where it is likely someone could plug in a TV while they are sitting in the tub, but you can't have a chandelier 7 feet above the tub because there is a risk someone is going to stand up and change lightbulbs in the middle of taking a bath?

Gotta love the logic of the NEC. :rant:

PetrosA

You can have a receptacle outlet within inches of the tub where it is likely someone could plug in a TV while they are sitting in the tub, but you can't have a chandelier 7 feet above the tub because there is a risk someone is going to stand up and change lightbulbs in the middle of taking a bath?

Knock knock - "Honey, while you're in there, would you mind changing the bulb over the tub? Thanks."

Bzzt.

;)

macmikeman

Wire an outlet for a chandelier , put a box cover plate on it, tell the homeowner to turn off the main breaker, don't say another word, take a bunch of pictures of the outlet box capped, get a final inspection. Split.

He wants to fry his knuckles , that's his business, I didn't hang any fixture there, the homeowner must have done his own work...... may he rest in peace.

iwire

Staff member

Send in a proposal, that is how it works.

Fulthrotl

I'm going to steal that one.

well, if you are gonna plagiarize it, get it right:

"we can get this job done if it takes every penny this
poor bastard has..."

- Karl Dalton, may he rest in peace.....

one of my first journeymen, who said that with the
shop owner standing about ten feet behind him.
turned around, saw the owner, who said two words:

"field check."

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
well, if you are gonna plagiarize it, get it right:

"we can get this job done if it takes every penny this
poor bastard has..."

- Karl Dalton, may he rest in peace.....

one of my first journeymen, who said that with the
shop owner standing about ten feet behind him.
turned around, saw the owner, who said two words:

"field check."
"If money can fix it it ain't broke."

Handed down to me by R. Cooper.
Well seasoned journeyman I had the pleasure of working with.

kwired

Electron manager

Did you do any research as to why the requirements involving the chandelier are the way they are? Maybe they have good reason.

I have never understood the desire to have a chandelier in a bathroom anyway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Did you do any research as to why the requirements involving the chandelier are the way they are? Maybe they have good reason. ...
Highly unlikely that there is a good reason to prohibit the chandelier, given that a wall mount fixture is permitted in the tub/shower area.

Fulthrotl

Did you do any research as to why the requirements involving the chandelier are the way they are? Maybe they have good reason.

I have never understood the desire to have a chandelier in a bathroom anyway.

one of the guys on the code committee had a crazy girlfriend who was into wild sex,
halfway between bubbles, and the flying wallendas? it didn't go well, and that's why.

kwired

Electron manager
one of the guys on the code committee had a crazy girlfriend who was into wild sex,
halfway between bubbles, and the flying wallendas? it didn't go well, and that's why.

Though it seems funny, I would not be surprised if it is true.

Wall fixtures are not as appealing to do wild things on so that is why they are not included:happyyes:

renosteinke

All this fuss over a chandelier ... I suppose track lighting at waist level is out of the question? :D And I was so looking forward to having a good reading light!

Might I ask: Is this a tub alone, or is there a shower?

If it's a tub alone, there's a way around. Simple have a Plexiglass partition under the chandelier. The 'measurement' would stop at the partition, and the chandelier would be out of the zone.

Better yet, have the chandelier off to the side, out of the zone. You can get the effect you desire by making the ceiling a sloped mirror.

Just think "outside the box" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.