can hdpe go into a building

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It cannot go within the building. To me that means it cannot physically enter the structure.

353.12 Uses Not Permitted. HDPE conduit shall not be
used under the following conditions:
(1) Where exposed
(2) Within a building
(3) In any hazardous (classified) location, except as permit-
ted by other articles in this Code
(4) Where subject to ambient temperatures in excess of
50?C (122?F) unless listed otherwise

Smart $

Esteemed Member
can i bring hdpe underground into a building and then transition to sch 80 pvc or rigid pipe to emerge up thru concrete floor and into a box..
If the hdpe conduit contains service conductors:

230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building.
Conductors shall be considered outside of a building or
other structure under any of the following conditions:

(1) Where installed under not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of
concrete beneath a building or other structure

(2) Where installed within a building or other structure in a
raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less
than 50 mm (2 in.) thick

(3) Where installed in any vault that meets the construction
requirements of Article 450, Part III

(4) Where installed in conduit and under not less than
450 mm (18 in.) of earth beneath a building or other
structure

(5) Where installed in overhead service masts on the outside
surface of the building traveling through the eave
of that building to meet the requirements of 230.24

If the hdpe conduit does not contain service conductors, there's little that says 230.6 can be applied, though 225.32 implies 230.6 can be applied to other than service conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
Might want to see what AHJ considers to be inside/outside the building. Some will accept encasement in 2 inches of concrete to be considered outside of a building.

The mentioned 230.6 only applies to service conductors and not raceways in general.

copper chopper

this is for parking lot lights, also there is a reference to 300.5 an 300.50 in article 353 under uses permtted, does those articles mean its ok to use the original idea i posted???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since these aren't service conductors you need to figure out how the words within a building apply. I would be inclined to say that once you go past the foundation you're within the building even if your encased in concrete.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
this is for parking lot lights, also there is a reference to 300.5 an 300.50 in article 353 under uses permtted, does those articles mean its ok to use the original idea i posted???
As Rob points out, it is subject to what is considered within the building. My opinion differs from his... but its not either of our opinions which count. Suggest contacting the AHJ to get an official ruling prior to installation.

kwired

Electron manager
under the slab is outside the building per the nec. Think service conductors to a main panel.

230.6 is only section I can find that addresses this, but 230.6 only applies to service conductors. Many AHJ do consider anything encased in at least 2" of concrete to be outside of a building, but you may want to check with the AHJ before you assume anything besides service conductors will fly with them.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have never quite understood why it is Ok to use smurf tubing, PVC or NM inside a building but not HDPE.
PVC is inherently fire retardant.
HDPE (actually, PE in general) upon ignition will liquefy, drip, and continue to burn even on removal of ignition source.

Status
Not open for further replies.