Split Coupling & RGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

I know RGS usually come with a threaded coupling but if you were using split coupling what would you do. Use RGS without the coupling? Cut the pipe? Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks. What is the purpose for using a split coupling instead of a standard coupling with RGS. Is it for tight spaces where channel locks can't be used?

When you say "split" coupling are you talking about a three piece coupling or union? The reason to use those is in places where you can not turn either entering pipe to install/tighten the coupling.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When you say "split" coupling are you talking about a three piece coupling or union? The reason to use those is in places where you can not turn either entering pipe to install/tighten the coupling.
See the link in post #3 and they are used for the reason you mention.

Roger

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks. What is the purpose for using a split coupling instead of a standard coupling with RGS. Is it for tight spaces where channel locks can't be used?
As kwired mentioned. GRSC (or RGS) is right-hand threaded, so a typical installation must start at one end, then pieces threaded together in succession to the other end. For some installations, it is impracticable to do this. Say for example, the "end" enclosure or box is already secured and it has a threaded hub entry. The last piece has to be long enough to thread into the hub and at the same time a coupling on the second to last piece. That is impossible with a standard coupling at the end of the second to last piece because of both length and thread direction. The solution is to thread the last piece into the hub then use a split coupling, or three-piece coupling, to complete the run.

kwired

Electron manager
See the link in post #3 and they are used for the reason you mention.

Roger

I have to say I didn't know they made such a thing as what is in the link in post 3. With that split side are they limited to dry locations only?

They look like they would be real easy to use, or a big pain in the rear, but nowhere in between.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have to say I didn't know they made such a thing as what is in the link in post 3. With that split side are they limited to dry locations only?

They look like they would be real easy to use, or a big pain in the rear, but nowhere in between.

about the only place on the left coast that uses GRC very much is either a listed occupancy, or a food prep plant with washdown,
and as a result, i've not seen these used much... there are ridgid setscrew threadless couplings, again not suitable...

around here, we use ericcsons. you order a 3 piece coupling, the only thing that is stocked is marked CL1 DIV1.....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use those quite often instead of the the 3 piece Ericson style coupling. For large RGS they're cheaper and easier to install.

Both types:

OZGDNYD00003_IA46_TR_001.jpg

CCH_CP_RigidTCCSplitCoupling_220.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
about the only place on the left coast that uses GRC very much is either a listed occupancy, or a food prep plant with washdown,
and as a result, i've not seen these used much... there are ridgid setscrew threadless couplings, again not suitable...

around here, we use ericcsons. you order a 3 piece coupling, the only thing that is stocked is marked CL1 DIV1.....

Unless nobody ever buys them, I find it hard to believe the "non classified location" versions are not stocked.

Looking in my pricing information, last 3/4 inch 3 piece coupling price was about $5.00, the last price for a hazardous location rated 3/4 union was about $16.00. I normally don't use the latter unless it is in a hazardous location.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Unless nobody ever buys them, I find it hard to believe the "non classified location" versions are not stocked.

Looking in my pricing information, last 3/4 inch 3 piece coupling price was about $5.00, the last price for a hazardous location rated 3/4 union was about $16.00. I normally don't use the latter unless it is in a hazardous location.

i believe you... last time i needed a union, i got some 3/4" ones from the wholesale house marked CL1 DIV1, and when i asked,
they said there was no price difference so they quit carrying the unclassified ones like the ones with the threaded band under the
cap...

kwired

Electron manager
i believe you... last time i needed a union, i got some 3/4" ones from the wholesale house marked CL1 DIV1, and when i asked,
they said there was no price difference so they quit carrying the unclassified ones like the ones with the threaded band under the
cap...

Putting a CL1 DIV1 label on any piece of equipment automatically increases the price by at least 300% from my experiences, even if everything else about the product is the same.

tkb

Have you done electrical work before?

I don't think he has ever been on an electrical job.
He wasn't telling the truth when he said that when he changed his identity there shouldn't be any more dumb questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.