Volume Allowance Required per 4AWG Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many cubic inches for a 4 AWG conductor? I am using a 4X7X10 box and each 1" conduit that enters it has (2)4AWG(hot) and (1)10AWG(ground) conductors in it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There are no provisions of the NEC that require the use of a volume calculation for conductors larger than #6. Enclosures are sized per the rules in 314.28 for conductors #4 and larger.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Those are weird dimensions for a box. I assume you mean 7x10 by 4 " deep???? Also what direction is the conduit coming in and going out? Is a straight pull or angle pull. I am betting that you are fine either way assuming 2 conduits

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Volume allowance assumes that the NEC cares about how much volume the box has, truth is after you go larger than #6 it doesn't care about volume only that you follow the 6X and 8X rules mentioned in Don's post.

Not totally clear on the 6X and 8X rule. For (2)4AWG(hot) and (1)10AWG(ground) conductors in 1" conduit would I use 6 cubic inches(6X 1" conduit)? For 4/3 MC cable would I use 4.5 cubic inches(6X 3/4" conduit)? I am using a 7"X10"X4"deep box. 2013-01-15-CS_site_visit-047.jpg 2013-01-15-CS_site_visit-048.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not totally clear on the 6X and 8X rule. For (2)4AWG(hot) and (1)10AWG(ground) conductors in 1" conduit would I use 6 cubic inches(6X 1" conduit)? For 4/3 MC cable would I use 4.5 cubic inches(6X 3/4" conduit)? I am using a 7"X10"X4"deep box. View attachment 7968 View attachment 7969
There are no cubic inches in the large conductor box sizing rules. The number are inches between the conduit and the enclosure walls or between the conduits. For the "conduit" size where cables are used, you use the minimum size conduit that the code would permit for the size and number of conductors that are in the cable. You do not use the size of the cable connector.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Not totally clear on the 6X and 8X rule. For (2)4AWG(hot) and (1)10AWG(ground) conductors in 1" conduit would I use 6 cubic inches(6X 1" conduit)? For 4/3 MC cable would I use 4.5 cubic inches(6X 3/4" conduit)? I am using a 7"X10"X4"deep box. View attachment 7968 View attachment 7969

is that a receptacle installed in the side of that junction box? (if so, it's not to code)

314.16 states 'Boxes and conduit bodies enclosing conductors 4 AWG or larger shall also comply with the provisions of 314.28.'

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
the above underlined
There is nothing in 314.16 that applies to installations of conductors #4 and larger. The word "also" in the section that you quoted should not be there.
CMP 9 does not agree.
9-39 Log #3648 NEC-P09 Final Action: Reject
(314.16)
Boxes and conduit bodies enclosing conductors 4 AWG or larger shall also comply with the provisions of 314.28.
Substantiation: There are no volumes 314.16 that let you apply the in this section to conductors #4 and larger. The only rules that apply to these larger conductors are the ones found in 314.28.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: Although there are no prescriptive requirements in this section that apply to large conductors, the parent language about sufficient size
does apply.
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 12
red = text to be deleted

The only problem with the panel statement is that there is no way to apply the "sufficient size" wording. It is vague and unenforceable. The enforceable rules for boxes with conductors #4 and larger are found in 314.28.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
There is nothing in 314.16 that applies to installations of conductors #4 and larger. The word "also" in the section that you quoted should not be there.
CMP 9 does not agree.

red = text to be deleted

The only problem with the panel statement is that there is no way to apply the "sufficient size" wording. It is vague and unenforceable. The enforceable rules for boxes with conductors #4 and larger are found in 314.28.

314.16(C)(2) I believe applies to conductors # 4 and larger.

jumper

I'm too lazy to look it up, but for conduit bodies, I believe there is specific language about having enough space if conductors are spliced in a conduit body.

314.16(C)(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices. Only those conduit
bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer
with their volume shall be permitted to contain
splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors
shall be calculated in accordance with 314.16(B). Conduit
bodies shall be supported in a rigid and secure manner

Status
Not open for further replies.