chasing masons with metal clad cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozier 78

Am I crazy or is it against code to chase block masons with metal clad cable? #330.12 (2a&b) seem to favor my understanding. This was done with regular every day cable. Hard to say if they went through hollow blocks or set blocks on the cable. Seems like PVC out the back would of been more appropriate to me.

Am I crazy or is it against code to chase block masons with metal clad cable? #330.12 (2a&b) seem to favor my understanding. This was done with regular every day cable. Hard to say if they went through hollow blocks or set blocks on the cable. Seems like PVC out the back would of been more appropriate to me.

I dont think its a code issue, but why are they running away and why are you chasing them? I would ask myself are the masons bigger than me and can I run faster then them?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If the cable is plastered into a chase in the block or installed within the block in a dry location then standard MC cable should be fine.

330.10 Uses Permitted.
(A) General Uses. Type MC cable shall be permitted as
follows:
(10) In dry locations and embedded in plaster finish on brick
or other masonry except in damp or wet locations.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the cable is plastered into a chase in the block or installed within the block in a dry location then standard MC cable should be fine.
Yeah... but that's not what the OP is asking.

IMO, MC is good if it only runs vertically through open cells, same as if it is fished in after the fact. But if it is embedded horizontally in joint space, that's a no-no.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Doesn't 330.10(A)(10) permit that as well if the location is dry?
Ooops! Perhaps I should have said, "...embedded [in concrete] in joint space is a no-no."

...and I was referring to in the middle, between upper and lower cell webs, not on the face or finish thereto in plaster.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That is the purpose of them but they can be used for a chase for different items such as what is being discussed here. I have seen them used for plumbing chases in school restrooms also.
Well in those cases, the MC would not be embedded in concrete. Probably not much different than running vertically in cell space... except gravity may keep more of the cable in contact with the concrete. Being that you brought it up, how do you feel about MC in those cases?

jwelectric

Well in those cases, the MC would not be embedded in concrete. Probably not much different than running vertically in cell space... except gravity may keep more of the cable in contact with the concrete. Being that you brought it up, how do you feel about MC in those cases?

I see nothing wrong as long as the proper MC is being used. I find on restriction in 330.12 for it being used in this manner.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since this is about blocks when applying these rules is concrete the same as mortar used to hold the blocks together?

jwelectric

330.12 Uses Not Permitted. Type MC cable shall not be used under either of the following conditions:
(1)
spacer.gif
Where subject to physical damage

(2)
spacer.gif
Where exposed to any of the destructive corrosive conditions in (a) or (b), unless the metallic
sheath or armor is resistant to the conditions or is protected by material resistant to the conditions:

a.
spacer.gif
Direct buried in the earth or embedded in concrete unless identified for direct burial

b.
spacer.gif
Exposed to cinder fills, strong chlorides, caustic alkalis, or vapors of chlorine or of hydrochloric acids

Like I said if it is listed then it is okay in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.