Lightning Arrestor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttdezo

We have failed final electrical inspection . The inspector left a note " no lightning arrestor " and looks like he wants it installed at the meter. This is a single family overhead 120/240V 200A residential service. I bought , SQ D SDSA 1175 Type 1 Surge Protective Device . How can I install it?
Line side of meter , load side , or it must be inside connected to a breaker?
Dan

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Didn't think the NEC required one (but perhaps your area does). Are there other things, like CATV, phone, satellite dish, or TV antenna, that are installed but have no arrestor?

ttdezo

other

other

It is an insurance repair . Not even cable in the house. We have 1 phone line in the kitchen Nothing is around the meter that would require grounding We installed inter system bonding bar under the panel.

ttdezo

It is an insurance repair . Not even cable in the house. We have 1 phone line in the kitchen Nothing is around the meter that would require grounding We installed inter system bonding bar under the panel.

under the meter outside

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'd request clarification before proceeding...

ttdezo

-It's a simple house. meter outside , overhead service , intersystem bonding , grounding , a phone line coiled up outside for future service. PVC piping , nothing to bond . House panel in garage , SQ Home line , a double pole surge breaker installed. / cat # HOM2175SB /
We were not there but according to painters the inspector pointed at the meter outside and said "lightning arrestor is missing" He left a note " no ligthning arrester" without any mention of code section or regulation. So I bought a lightning arrester , SDSA 1175 . Where shall I install it? Line side of the meter socket or load side. Or how . Just together with a 2/0 wire ?. Would that be code doing that? None of it makes much sense when FPL can install meters with surge protection

kwired

Electron manager
I think you need to ask what code is violated, likely is not NEC but could be a local rule. Which IMO any good inspection program does tell you exactly what code was violated and gives some explanation of things if they are going to deem the installation insufficient. Just a note saying "no lighting arrestor" does not accomplish that in my book. Using a formal and thorough procedure protects both the inspector and the contractor in the long run, and helps avoid future problems and inconsistencies from either party, not to mention it is just more professional like.

Next step if it is determined you must have a "lightning arrestor" is defining just what this "lightning arrestor" is and where and how it is to be installed.

The Square D unit you mentioned as well as many other similar devices are not intended to connect ahead of the service disconnecting means.

If you do connect something to the meter socket - where does he expect you to connect to? The meter lugs are likely not intended for multiple conductors

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
For all intents the SDSA1175 and the HOM2175SSB are the same device.

Marketing may call them different names (i.e. lightning vs surge) but the protection they offer is similar.

kwired

Electron manager
For all intents the SDSA1175 and the HOM2175SSB are the same device.

Marketing may call them different names (i.e. lightning vs surge) but the protection they offer is similar.

Protection offered is likely similar or even same, the HOM device plugs directly on the panel bus in place of a 2 pole breaker and has a lead for neutral, where the other mounts through a KO in the cabinet wall and is connected with leads.

ttdezo

picture

picture

That's what I did , inspection on Tuesday , we'll see...

Attachments

• meter.jpg
    meter.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Did you read the instructions that came with the SDSA unit?
My guess is they do not support your installation.

Does the inspector know the SDSA and the HOM_SSB perform the same function?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

The instructions do not appear to specify one way or the other with respect to meter box mounting.

From the data sheet:
This compact package can be mounted on an electrical panel, meter socket, or inside electrical control cabinets.​

From the instructions:
Suitable for use on a circuit capable of delivering not more than 25 kA rms symmetrical Amperes.​
This could be a problem though:
Twist wires one half turn or more for every 12 in. (305 mm) of length.​

mivey

Superior Performance

SDSA1175 SPDs Square D brand Surgelogic SDSA1175 SPDs utilize high-energy suppression circuitry that can be located at any point in the electrical system. As a Type 1 rated device, they have the flexibility to be used with or without an Overcurrent Protection Device (OCPD).

SDSA1175 SPDs provide surge suppression for equipment from severe transient activity. Each MOV is individually fused and the products carry a NEMA Type 4X rating suitable for installing indoors, outdoors, or in other harsh environments.

Easy Installation

Surgelogic SDSA1175 SPDs are some of the most versatile, yet compact devices available on the market today. This compact package can be mounted on an electrical panel, meter socket, or inside electrical control cabinets.

It may technically meet the instructions but I sure don't like it on that side of the meter. Just me.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

The 1 or 2 I have seen were circular, "doughnuts". They attached to a double pole breaker in the panel, 20 amp breaker I think. I don't think your install is legal, as I'm sure the meter base lugs are rated for 4 ought down to about a #6 or so.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
The instructions do not appear to specify one way or the other with respect to meter box mounting.

From the data sheet:
This compact package can be mounted on an electrical panel, meter socket, or inside electrical control cabinets.​

From the instructions:
Suitable for use on a circuit capable of delivering not more than 25 kA rms symmetrical Amperes.​
This could be a problem though:
Twist wires one half turn or more for every 12 in. (305 mm) of length.​

If their fault current rating is sufficient there is no reason they cannot be mounted 'at the meter' (except for utility requirements), in the old days it was not uncommon to see them hanging on drip loops. My concern is with multiple wires under one lug.

kwired

Electron manager
The 1 or 2 I have seen were circular, "doughnuts". They attached to a double pole breaker in the panel, 20 amp breaker I think. I don't think your install is legal, as I'm sure the meter base lugs are rated for 4 ought down to about a #6 or so.
As well as rated for one conductor only. Don't know if there is a right or wrong, but I would rather see this connected to load side of meter if there is no disconnect ahead of the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.