Nipple rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can I fill a 100 foot run of RMC to 60% if there is a coupling every 24"? Do I have 100' of RMC or do I have 50 - 24" nipples?

A coupling is not a nipple. No where does the code say you can 60% fill a coupling. However, you could use a reducing bushing and bush up after 24 inches, and then back down.

If I hit a conduit body with no splices or taps, is it a continuation of a raceway or "nipple" or is it "something other than a raceway or nipple between two raceways and/or nipples?

a nipple is a nipple. a conduit body is not a nipple or part of one.

If I replace conduit body with a junction box, is the fact that I still have nipples on either side of whatever is in the middle changed any?
A nipple is a nipple. A junction box is a junction box. A conduit body is a conduit body.
You could conceivably do all kinds of strange things and be code compliant.

kwired

Electron manager
Can I fill a 100 foot run of RMC to 60% if there is a coupling every 24"? Do I have 100' of RMC or do I have 50 - 24" nipples?

A coupling is not a nipple. No where does the code say you can 60% fill a coupling. However, you could use a reducing bushing and bush up after 24 inches, and then back down. I see I maybe gave somewhat of a bad example as a coupling would be part of the raceway, but yes throw in reducers and change size every 24" and maybe we have a more valid question. How about a "C" condulet every 24"?

If I hit a conduit body with no splices or taps, is it a continuation of a raceway or "nipple" or is it "something other than a raceway or nipple between two raceways and/or nipples?

a nipple is a nipple. a conduit body is not a nipple or part of one. My point is not that a conduit body is a nipple, my point is the nipple ends at one end of the conduit body, and a new nipple starts at the other end. So you have say 6 inch nipple, LB, 12 inch nipple. You have two nipples separated by something, just happens to be a conduit body in this case, but the conduit body could easily have been a junction box and nothing related to the nipples really changed did it?

If I replace conduit body with a junction box, is the fact that I still have nipples on either side of whatever is in the middle changed any?
A nipple is a nipple. A junction box is a junction box. A conduit body is a conduit body. I think that has been my understanding all along, but some seem to want to include the conduit body in the "24 inch nipple rule(s)", when in reality we have two nipples separated by a conduit body.

iwire

Staff member
The three colors might be clear to you but for the readers it very difficult to know who said what. It also means if I try to quote one person I have to carefully delete the other persons words. Just a real pain in the rear.

kwired

Electron manager
The three colors might be clear to you but for the readers it very difficult to know who said what. It also means if I try to quote one person I have to carefully delete the other persons words. Just a real pain in the rear.

Please tell me how to reply to his in line replies to his quotes from me, without spending all day formatting the whole thing? I think I had the same pain in the rear presented to me and that is how I chose to deal with it.

I hope that made sense.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Please tell me how to reply to his in line replies to his quotes from me, without spending all day formatting the whole thing? I think I had the same pain in the rear presented to me and that is how I chose to deal with it.

I hope that made sense.

Use the multi quote icon on the bottom right of the post and the last post you quote just use the regular quote. If it is one person then just highlight the text and add wrap quotes

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This took less than 30 secs

kwired

Electron manager
Use the multi quote icon on the bottom right of the post and the last post you quote just use the regular quote. If it is one person then just highlight the text and add wrap quotes

I understand and do that all the time. In this case someone replied multiple times in line with the quote from one of my previous posts, how am I supposed to reply to each one of those without making it more confusing, or reformatting the entire conversation to indicate who said what, and when, by the time I get all that figured out I may very well forget what I had to reply with ... which I guess wouldn't bother some people.:blink:
I had a reply to pretty much every embedded reply in the original quote:?

Dbronx

bonding junction box

bonding junction box

I have a 18 X 18 nction box for branch circuit of two seprate 225 amp sub panels. The two 225 sub panels are fed from a single 800 amp MDP via 5 wire. I want to bond the junction box by installing a bond bewteen the ground bar of each sub panel aniond junction box.

Question 1 is it legal to use one junction box for branch circuits of to sub panels

Question 2 will I create a ground loop by bonding both sub panels to junction box

kwired

Electron manager
I have a 18 X 18 nction box for branch circuit of two seprate 225 amp sub panels. The two 225 sub panels are fed from a single 800 amp MDP via 5 wire. I want to bond the junction box by installing a bond bewteen the ground bar of each sub panel aniond junction box.

Question 1 is it legal to use one junction box for branch circuits of to sub panels

Question 2 will I create a ground loop by bonding both sub panels to junction box

Q1 - yes. The more large raceways you have entering the box the larger the box may need to be, but that is a different question.

Q2 - I don't think you will create an objectionable ground loop. You may not even be required to attach a bonding jumper to the box if there are no splices or taps within the box and it is still bonded via metal raceways suitable for use as equipment grounding conductors.

If you must bond to the box or if you choose to anyhow, I think it would be best to either splice the EGC's in something like a Polaris connector and also include a connection for the box, or mount a grounding bar or multiport lug in the box to bond the box.

PowerMan2020

Occupation
electrician

This is starting to sound like inappropriate material here:)
This is one of the best questions I've seen here.
Basically you are saying and making the entire run a compelte run of nipple, granted you use Jboxes (requires support). But strictly speaking, nipples don't require straps! So the problem would be, say a run of nipple 10feet with no straps. :cool::eek:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is one of the best questions I've seen here.
Basically you are saying and making the entire run a compelte run of nipple, granted you use Jboxes (requires support). But strictly speaking, nipples don't require straps! So the problem would be, say a run of nipple 10feet with no straps. :cool::eek:
Nipples do require straps. Nipples are raceways, could be made from EMT or RMC or some other raceway but their respective code articles would require that they be supported even if they're only 2" long.

Status
Not open for further replies.