358.30(A) - Settle A Bet

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Please settle a bet. :)
(A) Securely Fastened. EMT shall be securely fastened in place at least every 3 m (10 ft). In addition, each EMT run between termination points shall be securely fastened within 900 mm (3 ft) of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination.

A coupling would be a tubing termination would it not

Section 358.30(A) requires EMT to be “securely fastened” at the prescribed intervals, as illustrated in Exhibit 358.1.

document.php

(A) Securely Fastened. EMT shall be securely fastened in place at least every 3 m (10 ft). In addition, each EMT run between termination points shall be securely fastened within 900 mm (3 ft) of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination.

I would classify it as a tubing continuation, not termination

Last edited by a moderator:

iwire

Staff member

I can see your point, heck I have even argued that point.:)

But then someone pointed out they had removed the word 'fitting' and replaced it with 'termination' so that you would not need a support withing 3' of a coupling.

It becomes, at least to me, a question of NEC minimums vs good solid design. I prefer to place supports near couplings but no longer believe it is NEC required.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

But then someone pointed out they had removed the word 'fitting' and replaced it with 'termination' so that you would not need a support withing 3' of a coupling.

It becomes, at least to me, a question of NEC minimums vs good solid design. I prefer to place supports near couplings but no longer believe it is NEC required.

I'm right there with you and when I had the first argument (while I was still wearing the tools) I had missed the code change.

I pesonally always put one within three feet of either side of the coupling, but then I worked alone a lot and it just made it easier to run pipe that way. So it became more habit, then anything else.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If you start with a 10' stick, secure at or less than 3', then continue with full sticks until the last piece, and support at 10' intervals, the supports will always be within 3' of a coupling.

iwire

Staff member
If you start with a 10' stick, secure at or less than 3', then continue with full sticks until the last piece, and support at 10' intervals, the supports will always be within 3' of a coupling.

Good thing you bought that used supercomputer to run those calculations. :p

hardworkingstiff

... someone pointed out they had removed the word 'fitting' and replaced it with 'termination' so that you would not need a support withing 3' of a coupling.

I agree with this 100%! Putting supports near the coupling is a good practice IMO.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A coupling would not be the termination of the conduit run. But it is the termination of one section of conduit, and the beginning of the next section. That could be used as the basis for including a coupling in the list of things that need a support within three feet. That is the basis for my "yes" vote. But I voted before reading the thread. The fact that a change was made from "fitting" to "termination" tends to imply that the intent of the code was not to require a support within three feet of a coupling. Oh well, not the first time I voted for the minority cause. :happyno:

jusme123

Occupation
JW

...can you define termination? If two wires pass strait through a box, but are spliced, is that a termination?

What happens when you put a saddle in that 10? stick?

you have a conduit with a bump in it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.