New Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bang

I'm wanting to pick a few brains that are in VA. I am going to start my own business and would like some input from some of you guys here in the commonwealth.

zog

What do you know about running a business? Being a good electrician and a good businessman are not related at all, big mistake many people make.

That said, what questions do you have?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I'm wanting to pick a few brains that are in VA. I am going to start my own business and would like some input from some of you guys here in the commonwealth.

don't ask BrianJohn about sub contracting for gov't, or paper work whatever you do:jawdrop::D

bobbymari

Although Im not in your area, you may get an actual response if you have some specific questions in mind. Let the fellas on here in your area know what types of buisness questions you have. Just a thought. But best of luck to you nonetheless on your new buisness

brian john

Virginia is a large state and the way counties operate across the state varies, Where are you in Virginia? And as noted what are your questions?

What do you know about running a business? Being a good electrician and a good businessman are not related at all, big mistake many people make.

That said, what questions do you have?

I am living proof of this. My work is excellent, my employees respect me, and I am losing my ass.

Bang

Sorry for the late responses.....just got somewhat used to overseas time difference. I am mainly referring to pricing and overhead. I take pride in my work and would make sure the job is done correctly with outstanding customer service. But on the flip side of that, I think that I will be shooting myself in the foot with making any profits. Most of my work has been done in the government field where pricing was never needed on a daily or job by job basis.

I am located in the Manassas, Gainesville area.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry for the late responses.....just got somewhat used to overseas time difference. I am mainly referring to pricing and overhead. I take pride in my work and would make sure the job is done correctly with outstanding customer service. But on the flip side of that, I think that I will be shooting myself in the foot with making any profits. Most of my work has been done in the government field where pricing was never needed on a daily or job by job basis.

I am located in the Manassas, Gainesville area.

Nothing wrong with that, but you have to remember you will have cutthroat competition trying to steal your jobs. You have to sell yourself to the customer and show them why you are worth the extra you charge over that competition. And you also have to realize you still will not make every potential sale.

fisherelectric

Be prepared to get entangled with the county, the state, and the Feds for all the relevant taxes, licenses, fees, etc.; the inspectors for all the jurisdictions and their particular code interpretations you've never really heard of; your insurance company for your liability, workers comp, and truck insurance which seem to come due every month even when you're on a quarterly payment schedule; your supply houses for all the material they can't get till next week, or only got part of the order, or screwed up your order, or billed you for the guy who has an account with the similar name, but want their money every month; your customers who heard you say something you don't recall saying and wish you had that tape recorder to prove it; and your employees whose personal life is about to become your personal life; and lastly, your wife, who is about to realize you don't have a new job, but a whole new lifestyle that you take with you wherever you go.
Otherwise, have fun.
Figure out what you need to make from a yearly down to a daily basis and charge accordingly. It helps to know what the going rate is in your neck of the woods. Keep on top of all the paperwork, and don't let it pile up. I have a friend who had a "go away" pile where he would put all the paperwork he didn't feel like dealing with hoping it would just go away. He lost what should have been a very profitable trucking business and his house, too.
Stay away from contractors who don't seem to keep their jobs going smoothly, or are robbing Peter to pay Paul, even if they seem to have a lot of work.
Write a detailed proposal for every little job so there is no room for confusion later.
Don't do any extras on the fly without getting a signed work order from someone who matters.
etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.