Altering a Dryer Cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We all know that the manufacturers of dryers don?t include the power cord with the machine, because they can?t know which type of outlet any given home will have. I have a project in a US military base overseas. The outlets are not US standard, but we are providing US-made dryers. The manufacturer declined to provide power cords with the appropriate cord caps for the project location. I have been asked whether it would be acceptable to take a US-standard power cord, cut off the cord cap, and install a cord cap of the proper type.

I don?t have a problem with the concept. What I don?t know is whether the power cord is likely to have its own UL listing, and whether altering the cord would invalidate that listing. But even if those answers are yes and yes, I am not certain whether that would be a problem. Any thoughts?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
... whether the power cord is likely to have its own UL listing, and whether altering the cord would invalidate that listing. But even if those answers are yes and yes, I am not certain whether that would be a problem. Any thoughts?
If the dryer manufacturer purchased the cord as an assembly and attached it to the terminals of their dryer, it would be separately UL listed, or at least a recognized component.

Is there a reason (cost, availability?) that you do not want to purchase a cord assembly to match the local receptacle?

If you can find a cord cap with terminals that accept the wire used in the cord you have (and it has the right number of terminals and the local outlet has the right conductors....), I do not see a practical problem.

Are you obligated to follow either NEC or the local codes in this situation?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
The EC sent me a couple photos. Here they are.
The dryer has the complete cord attached. If I could get the EC to purchase a complete cord with the right cord cap, I think replacing cord with cord would be the answer.
Dryer Electrical Wiring.jpg

I see that the washer, however, does not have a cord cap. Indeed, it does not appear to me that it is designed for a cord cap to be simply attached. Nor does it look like an intended hard-wire installation, since it has connectors, and not just stripped wire, at the ends. Does this tell you anything?
Washer Electrical Wiring.jpg

ceb58

The EC sent me a couple photos. Here they are.
The dryer has the complete cord attached. If I could get the EC to purchase a complete cord with the right cord cap, I think replacing cord with cord would be the answer.
View attachment 8513

I see that the washer, however, does not have a cord cap. Indeed, it does not appear to me that it is designed for a cord cap to be simply attached. Nor does it look like an intended hard-wire installation, since it has connectors, and not just stripped wire, at the ends. Does this tell you anything?
View attachment 8514

I am going to ask a crazy question. Is the washer intended to connect to the dryer? The reason I ask is I changed out a dryer cord for a new washer/dryer set for a friend of mine. The washer actually connected to the dryer for its power and the washer would "talk" to the dryer. It let the dryer know the amount of water that was left in the clothes after the final spin. This let the dryer know the time and amount of heat to apply to dry the clothes. I was afraid to ask what this set up cost.:eek:hmy:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'd rather replace a cord than a cap any day. Caps have awkward terminals sometimes and I've seen them break fairly often. Cord also may not fit well into the cap.

growler

I have a project in a US military base overseas. The outlets are not US standard, but we are providing US-made dryers.
What I don?t know is whether the power cord is likely to have its own UL listing, and whether altering the cord would invalidate that listing. But even if those answers are yes and yes, I am not certain whether that would be a problem. Any thoughts?

The regular power cord for a dryer tends to be flat and it may be hard to find a replacement cap that will work well with a flat cable.

I would probably just get some hard use SO cord and the local version of a plug. Build your own cord with SO connector and UL approved SO cord and a UL or CE listed plug. That way each part of the cord will be approved by some listing agency.

Whatever you use off the local market will have to have a UL listing or CE listing for the miliatry to accept it. Find whatever you wish to use and send the paperwork (specs) to the contracting officer for approval.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I am going to ask a crazy question. Is the washer intended to connect to the dryer?

Not so crazy really. The wire colors are the same, and although I can't see the detail well enough to be sure, I suspect that the terminals on the dryer have the matching male tabs to accept the washer cord. But I don't see any provision for strain relief, so maybe the attachment to the dryer is somewhere else?

If there is communication, then a shared laundry room with multiple washers and dryers would not work very well. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I am going to ask a crazy question. Is the washer intended to connect to the dryer?
That was a bit crazy, but the answer is a simple and sane "no." I can see nothing in the dryer's wiring connections that would accept the wires from the washer. Also, the washers and dryers will be lined up on opposite walls of the laundry room.

Last edited:

growler

View attachment 8514

Those wire colors look to be British standard (BS). If you are dealing with BS power then they probably have a plug that's listed for the washer ( correct amperage) that is UL approved or CE approved.

PetrosA

The fact that it's a US manufacturer doesn't necessarily mean the washer or dryer was made in the US. They could have been made abroad or made here to work on foreign systems. The dryer cord looks like an Aussie configuration to me. There's not enough info to figure out where the washer's from, but I wonder if the washer has some kind of fused cord end that would normally get installed on site.

Judging by the cord size, I would guess the dryer gets hooked up to a dedicated 16A 230V circuit, while the washer can be on a 16A or 10A 230V circuit. The cord looks too light to supply a washer that heats the water, and there are both hot and cold water inlets. It should be fine to provide good quality cord ends for the local receptacles and replace them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I think the machines will be built in Wisconsin, but I am not certain of that. They are single phase 230 volts. The washer gets a 20 amp circuit and the dryer gets a 30 amp circuit. The outlets are of the German style. The project location is a US Navy base in Djibouti, Africa.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Have you considered pricing out changing the recepticals to fit the cord caps.
Interesting idea, and one that would certainly solve the immediate problem. However, I need to leave in place an installation that works for future equipment replacements as well. For that, I need to use the receptacle types that are standard for that location.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Interesting idea, and one that would certainly solve the immediate problem. However, I need to leave in place an installation that works for future equipment replacements as well. For that, I need to use the receptacle types that are standard for that location.
I don't think that there would be a code violation in surface mounting US receptacles, wired in parallel, next to the German standard ones.
You would still have to figure out what to do with that washer cord that does not have a plug on the end of it!

PetrosA

I could be wrong, but i think finding a 30A single phase receptacle outside the US is going to be less than a simple ordeal. It's certainly not something you'd find in the typical European home. Dryers in the EU are generally made to work on a 16A 230V circuit with a standard plug configuration. When US dryers were used in Poland (either brought over by returning Poles or bought at US embassy sales) they were generally connected using a shrouded type pin and sleeve plug on a 16A fuse/breaker in homes with a three phase service. They will work on a 16A circuit, but the wiring will heat up somewhat and under continuous use the breaker will trip (firsthand experience ;) ). The largest lines you'd find in the average home will be 16A dedicated appliance circuits (like for ovens, washing machines, etc.) and main breakers may only be rated at 25A. You might want to check out what's available and what that manufacturer is planning on sending to make sure you can get it to work.

broadgage

Here in the UK, domestic clothes washers are invariably supplied complete with cord and plug and are simply plugged in to any standard outlet by the householder.
The loading is therefore restricted to about 3KW at 230/240 volts single phase.

Domestic clothes dryers are also normally supplied complete with cord and plug and simply plugged in like any other domestic appliance, being again limited to about 3KW loading.

Elswhere in Europe the outlets and plugs are different and a washer or dryer should be supplied with a suitable plug and cord ready for simply plugging in.

Larger washing or drying appliances are mainly for trade or industrial use and are not normally supplied with either a plug or a cord.
They are normally hardwired to the fixed wiring by an electrician.

Most suppliers of electrical equipment in Europe would not know what you required if asked for a "dryer cord" A good supplier will have a range of flexible cord in stock, sold by the meter or in 50 meter rolls. Unless the instructions with the appliance specify a particular type of cord then the installing electrician would use their judgment.
Sometimes cord is not used, the supply into large appliances consisting of single wires inside flexible plastic conduit.

Sometimes "flat twin with earth" cable (similar to Romex) is connected directly to appliances but this is considered poor practice.

32 amp and larger outlets and plugs do exist but are not much used for connecting laundry equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
I could be wrong, but i think finding a 30A single phase receptacle outside the US is going to be less than a simple ordeal. It's certainly not something you'd find in the typical European home. Dryers in the EU are generally made to work on a 16A 230V circuit with a standard plug configuration. When US dryers were used in Poland (either brought over by returning Poles or bought at US embassy sales) they were generally connected using a shrouded type pin and sleeve plug on a 16A fuse/breaker in homes with a three phase service. They will work on a 16A circuit, but the wiring will heat up somewhat and under continuous use the breaker will trip (firsthand experience ;) ). The largest lines you'd find in the average home will be 16A dedicated appliance circuits (like for ovens, washing machines, etc.) and main breakers may only be rated at 25A. You might want to check out what's available and what that manufacturer is planning on sending to make sure you can get it to work.

I was going to point out that typical US clothes dryers draw more than 16 amps and that this would likely present problems with a 16 amp circuit. Many are in the 5000-5500 VA range.

PetrosA

I was going to point out that typical US clothes dryers draw more than 16 amps and that this would likely present problems with a 16 amp circuit. Many are in the 5000-5500 VA range.

True. That's why I mentioned the firsthand experience with wires warming up. I ran a US dryer for years in Poland on a 16A circuit. It worked fine, albeit warmly ;). They don't draw continuously. The heat cycles on and off. I had a cafe and lots of towels and aprons to wash, so it came in very handy. I wouldn't recommend this to others, especially if it's for an application where the end user isn't educated enough to make a decision about the condition of the wiring. In the OP's case, appropriate dryers for the circuits available should be specified in the purchase order.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I think the machines will be built in Wisconsin, but I am not certain of that. They are single phase 230 volts. The washer gets a 20 amp circuit and the dryer gets a 30 amp circuit. The outlets are of the German style. The project location is a US Navy base in Djibouti, Africa.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Go to the nearest city there and find whatever supplier electricians there use. They should have the cords and/or the caps there. Next choice would be an appliance store.

You may also find someone here or on another forum that is from there and could guide you more. Check out city-data.com. I go there and find people from all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.