generator ques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

if you run a 40 amp circuit from your ulity servicr panel into a ats . it will then feed a small 6 circuit panel for lighting , receps,refigtor does this ats have to be service rated or only when the ats is controlling the entier load from main service fed from your ulity company?

iwire

Staff member
if you run a 40 amp circuit from your ulity servicr panel into a ats . it will then feed a small 6 circuit panel for lighting , receps,refigtor does this ats have to be service rated or only when the ats is controlling the entier load from main service fed from your ulity company?

In that case it is being supplied by a 40 amp feeder so it does not have to be service rated.

jwelectric

Read Part II of Article 225. If there is no disconnect for the generator but the Automatic Transfer Switch then the ATS must be suitable as service equipment per 225.36.

iwire

Staff member
Read Part II of Article 225. If there is no disconnect for the generator but the Automatic Transfer Switch then the ATS must be suitable as service equipment per 225.36.

Why must you do this?

You muddy the waters for your own entertainment. I think that is a disservice to the OP.

You know as well as I do that regardless of the current NEC wording that it is not applied that way.

NO, NO , NO ....

Generac sells 'em and also the others ......for just this purpose 100's are installed every day

PHP:
http://www.generac.com/Residential/Transfer_Switches/Essential_Circuit/EZ_Switch/

ceb58

Why must you do this?

You muddy the waters for your own entertainment. I think that is a disservice to the OP.

You know as well as I do that regardless of the current NEC wording that it is not applied that way.
Mike, I must agree with Bob that you have made a statement that is very confusing. What the OP is proposing doesn't warrant a service rated ATS. The utility side will have a feeder not service entrance from a breaker in the MDP, therefore that is the disconnect on the utility side. Now we get into the generator side of the ATS. That is where 702.12 comes in with the SE rated disconnect for the generator feeders and the OP will have that to deal with.

NO, NO , NO ....

Generac sells 'em and also the others ......for just this purpose 100's are installed every day

PHP:
http://www.generac.com/Residential/Transfer_Switches/Essential_Circuit/EZ_Switch/
That switch still doesn't comply with 702.12 for the feeders from the generator. It's a shame Generac stop making and selling ATS's with SE rated breakers for the utility and generator feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.