AC extension kits in walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Can an AC extension kit like the Arlington Low Profile TV Bridge Kit be used in a condominium building taller than 3 stories? I know that you can't use romex in the electrical wiring above the 3rd floor. My thinking on these kits is that they are not connected to the wiring in a permanent fashion.

http://www.aifittings.com/landing/low-profile-tv-bridge-kit/
Why do you think NM is prohibited above the third floor?

Roger

hnspro

Because it can't be used in conduit. However, I was thinking this is a glorified extension cord. I've seen it used in these condos by a competitor. So I'm questioning my knowledge and I guess I'm playing devils advocate.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Because it can't be used in conduit.
Yes it can, although as Dennis points out, it doesn't have to be in conduit above the third floor.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If there is nothing in the code (I'm assuming 2011) that doesn't prohibit romex above the third floor, then are these kits legal?

Since NMC is not prohibited anymore, I do not see what problem there would be in using these kits. If they are UL-listed devices, that is.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If there is nothing in the code (I'm assuming 2011) that doesn't prohibit romex above the third floor, then are these kits legal?
IMO they are but, that opinion will not be shared across the membership and it has nothing to do with what floor it is used on.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
That's good to know. This particular one is UL rated. Thanks.
Be careful with the words you use. :)
What is required is UL listed. And it has to be the whole product, not just the NM wire and the outlets and cords which are part of it.
And UL recognized (as in UL recognized component, backwards RU symbol) is something different too.

There was a time when unsafe devices tried to put one over on consumers by using a UL recognized cord that had a UL label on it. :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Being new and not a frequent to forums, I don't know what IMO is. Please explain?

And from the meek and mild mannered (but usually right anyway) we have IMHO, In My Humble Opinion.
Or the opposite IMNSHO, In My Not So Humble Opinion or even IMAO, In My Arrogant Opinion.
Unfortunately the latter is too easily mistaken for LMAO, which is Laughing My A** Off.

You will also see Power Company (POCO) and Agency Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) a lot.

And from the meek and mild mannered (but usually right anyway) we have IMHO, In My Humble Opinion.
Or the opposite IMNSHO, In My Not So Humble Opinion or even IMAO, In My Arrogant Opinion.
Unfortunately the latter is too easily mistaken for LMAO, which is Laughing My A** Off.

You will also see Power Company (POCO) and Agency Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) a lot.

And all this time I thought it was Authority Having Juristiction:slaphead:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
And all this time I thought it was Authority Having Juristiction:slaphead:

Well there is the difference between us. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AHJ
You worry about the civil stuff (Authority Having Jurisdiction, and for some reason referring to Florida(?)), while I worry about the criminal (=Law Enforcement Organization, LEO) stuff (Agency Having Jurisdiction.) :angel:

I guess I watched many episodes during the Criminal Minds marathon.

Status
Not open for further replies.