I hate a "ground up/down" thread as much as the next guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
...but I can't resist posting these pictures of an ill-fated tape measure from a couple weeks ago. Just pure bad luck on the operator's part...

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Once again, just to be clear, there is no right or wrong orientation!

This may wind up closed (I don't begrudge other mods closing this.) Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

templdl

...but I can't resist posting these pictures of an ill-fated tape measure from a couple weeks ago. Just pure bad luck on the operator's part...

View attachment 8767

View attachment 8765

View attachment 8766

Once again, just to be clear, there is no right or wrong orientation!

This may wind up closed (I don't begrudge other mods closing this.) Enjoy! :)
Reminds me of what happened to my wife when asked her to simply replace some plates for duplex outlets. I don't actually know how she did it but she ended up touching my most excellent Klein screwdriver against the metal box and the line side of the outlet screw.
And pop! It scared the crap out of her and turned to show me the screwdriver looking for my sympathy. Instead looking at the very big chunk taken from the tip of my once very fine most excellent Klein driver and said "look what you did with my screwdriver."
My supper was hot tongue and cold shoulder that day. But her nick name from the on was sparky.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well I suppose the only thing that would have prevented this is either pulling the plugs or the power. I have seen fish tapes do the same. :?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Well, now I learned what will happen if I have the ground up. Why didn't I think of this?:slaphead:
I have to change my habit and start installing the grounds down or use a fiber glass measuring tape.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Well, now I learned what will happen if I have the ground up. Why didn't I think of this?:slaphead:
I have to change my habit and start installing the grounds down or use a fiber glass measuring tape.

Looking at the pics....

Did the tape measure (which was upside down :D) manage it's way between the two plugs? That's what the smoke pattern looks like.

Just curious.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Now we know what the voltage drop is for 120V @ 36-1/16"!:lol:

Also, I wonder if the GFCI tripped, or the breaker, or both?
If both, which was first?

jumper

Now we know what the voltage drop is for 120V @ 36-1/16"!:lol:

Also, I wonder if the GFCI tripped, or the breaker, or both?
If both, which was first?

The GFCI would only trip if the tape measure was grounded/bonded somehow, so I would guess the breaker on a SC fault.

Edit: Could have been the GFCI as the receptacle is mounted in EMT and that would be a bond/ground connection that would cause the GFCI to trip. Had to go back and look at OPs pics to spot that.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The GFCI would only trip if the tape measure was grounded/bonded somehow, so I would guess the breaker on a SC fault.

Edit: Could have been the GFCI as the receptacle is mounted in EMT and that would be a bond/ground connection that would cause the GFCI to trip. Had to go back and look at OPs pics to spot that.
Or the "fuse link" with distance markings on it just broke the circuit. They can't handle nearly as much current as a screwdriver can.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is possible that the tape blew clear. I have seen a quick short that would not trip the breakers. It must be sustained long enough to trip the breaker

iwire

Staff member
tape.jpg
Why? Serious question here, not being a smart aleck.

I am being serious as well and not trying to be a smart alack. :)

I see two blasts on the tape that indicate it was a line to line event not a line to ground event.

That being the case the GFCI would be blind to it entirely.

As for the breaker I would say chances are high that the breaker stayed closed as the tape blew out (opened) first.

Last edited:

jumper

It is possible that the tape blew clear. I have seen a quick short that would not trip the breakers. It must be sustained long enough to trip the breaker

View attachment 8771

I am being serious as well and not trying to be a smart alack. :)

I see two blasts on the tape that indicate it was a line to line event not a line to ground event.

That being the case the GFCI would be blind to it entirely.

As for the breaker I would say chances are high that the breaker stayed closed as the tape blew out (opened) first.
Interesting, I had not thought about these points. Thanks.:)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
View attachment 8771

Especially if it was a CH. We clamped a 15 amp breaker that was not tripping at 115 amps. That was from a bolted (actually wirenutted) line to neutral fault in an outdoor light. The little 'poof' the tape measure made surely wouldn't trip even the most discerning CH breaker.

(Can you tell I don't care much for CH breakers???)

renosteinke

Proving once again:

As soon as you make something idiot proof, they come out with an improved idiot.

Bet the 2017 NEC requires full PPE when you use a tape measure, and non-conductive, flash resistant tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.