Under side

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've taken notice that steel 1900 box covers have the words "UNDER SIDE" stamped into them.

It's a flat piece of steel and can't for the life of me figure out why it would matter which side faces the 1900 box.

If the 1900 box is mounted overhead to the bottom of a joist should the under side of the cover then face down (under) and away from the box???:lol::slaphead::p:D

ceknight

If the 1900 box is mounted overhead to the bottom of a joist should the under side of the cover then face down (under) and away from the box???:lol::slaphead::p:D

I wondered that once, and decided it probably had to do with the screw torque holding the cover in place vs moving it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Any idea who makes those? If by underside they mean the bottom then the cover will fall off when the screws are loose.

templdl

It may be that the intent was to make it easier for the installer to turn off his/her brain when making a choice as to which side to place in. Turn brain off and do what it says to do. You're not supposed to think.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since these are stamped by machine they end with one side that has a sharp edge. They want the underside towards the box so the smooth edge faces out. OK I'm really just guessing because I have no idea. :blink:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Just turned the cover over and it is stamped Raco on the other side Rob.

I either heard the ul thing from an inspector or read it on the internet, so you can take my word on this to the bank.

kwired

Electron manager
Just turned the cover over and it is stamped Raco on the other side Rob.

I either heard the ul thing from an inspector or read it on the internet, so you can take my word on this to the bank.

I have seen those many times, especially from RACO.

As you said it is stamped RACO on the other side. They want their name to be visable on the finished product:happyyes:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I didn't know why, but I always installed the cover so the words were inside the box. I figure if a customer takes a look at it they'll wonder why I put the cover on backwards.

gar

Occupation
EE
130811-1415 EDT

My guess is that underside means toward the inside of the box. This puts the punch burr on the outside and that may provide better screw retention.

kwired

Electron manager
130811-1415 EDT

My guess is that underside means toward the inside of the box. This puts the punch burr on the outside and that may provide better screw retention.

Just how much better does it need to be on such an item? If it is that important maybe they need to use a minimum 1/4 inch diameter screw so it can take more torque. Maybe some spring washers also.:roll:

Do inspectors really fail installs if these are on backwards? Probably is someone somewhere that does:(

kwired

Electron manager
I'm a little busy doing womans work right now so i'm not going to look it up, do 1900 blanks need to be listed?

I don't think so, but they can be or must be if they don't meet construction criteria.

314.41 Covers.
Metal covers shall be of the same material as the box or conduit body with which they are used, or they shall be lined with firmly attached insulating material that is not less than 0.79 mm ( in.) thick, or they shall be listed for the purpose. Metal covers shall be the same thickness as the boxes or conduit body for which they are used, or they shall be listed for the purpose. Covers of porcelain or other approved insulating materials shall be permitted if of such form and thickness as to afford the required protection and strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.