Gas Pipe Bonding, where CSST is present

Status
Not open for further replies.
250.104(B) does not specifically state where you must attach the bonding jumper to the gas pipe, other than that it must be accessible. However, especially where CSST is present, is there a connection point that would be more effective for protecting the CSST from damage due to lighting? I would assume that if the house is piped in such a manner that the metal gas pipe enters the building, and CSST is only used to branch out and directly connect to the appliances, then it makes no difference where you connect on the metal piping. However, I can't be sure, but I thought I had seen installations where CSST was used as a flexible connection between sections of metal pipe. It seems to me that in a case like that, you would want to bond to the section of metal piping that is uninterrupted from the main supply, and at least install bonding jumpers around any of the CSST flexible joints. Any thoughts?

Also, what material are the clamps that most of you use for metal gas pipe bonding? Around here the supply houses stock what I assume are a galvanized clamp. Today I asked for bronze or brass, which are obviously way more expensive too, and they didn't have any at that branch. I've used the galvanized for copper water pipe without any problems from any inspectors, but are they typically accepted on metal gas piping as well?

Thanks to all who reply.
-Mark

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis,
Although I can already picture the blank expression on the counter guy's face when I ask if the clamps are UL 467 listed. I'm gonna have to do some research on my own there.

It should be on the box or the clamp. I believe most of the clamps are listed for UL 467. It used to be that the brass ones were the only ones but some of the others are also

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Thanks Dennis,
Although I can already picture the blank expression on the counter guy's face when I ask if the clamps are UL 467 listed. I'm gonna have to do some research on my own there.

[h=1]ERITECH? Brand of CWP Grounding Clamps Are Now Listed for Connecting HEX Fittings on CSST Systems[/h]
PH22564.jpg

ERICO? has developed a range of CWP Grounding Clamps which help minimize the possibility of damage from a lightning strike or other transient voltage by reducing the electrical potential between metallic objects and building systems.

The clamps, which are part of the ERITECH? line of Facility Electrical Protection products, conform to the new requirements of the 2009 edition of NFPA? 54, National Fuel Gas Code and National Electric Code? for bonding corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems to the grounding conductor of the building?s electrical system.

CWP Grounding Clamps are ideal for connecting brass hex fittings on flexible gas piping, copper grounding conductors, galvanized water pipes, copper water tubing or ground rods ranging from 1/2? to 4? to a ground conductor to bond all ground points together. This helps eliminate ground loops and creates an equipotential plane.

Made of a high-strength silicone bronze, the clamps are ideal for use in applications, such as lightning protection, fault current ground, signal reference grid and static ground. They are UL? Listed (ANSI?/UL 467 Category KDER).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was shown yesterday there is a new tubeing out that doesn't need to be bonded as long there is a grounded conductor connected.
Lou

Counterstrike made by Omegaflex doesn't require special bonding however the gas code does not make exception so it must be bonded.

Does everyone here feel that meeting the requirements of NEC 250.104(B) is an adequate means of protecting CSST from damage due to lightning, or are there stricter requirements in other codes or regions that anyone is aware of?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Does everyone here feel that meeting the requirements of NEC 250.104(B) is an adequate means of protecting CSST from damage due to lightning, or are there stricter requirements in other codes or regions that anyone is aware of?

250.104(B) does not cover CSST a minimum of a #6 copper bonding is required for all appliances that are connected with CSST.

250.104(B) allows the equipment grounding conductor to serve as the bonding and could be as small as a #14

250.104(B) does not cover CSST a minimum of a #6 copper bonding is required for all appliances that are connected with CSST.

250.104(B) allows the equipment grounding conductor to serve as the bonding and could be as small as a #14

Thanks Gregg,

What I meant to ask was this: Does everyone feel that a #6, attached to a portion of metal pipe upstream from any CSST, will adequately protect the CSST from lightning?

And even though 250.104(B) does not cover CSST, do the bonding locations for the other side of the bonding conductor or jumper listed in 250.104(B) still apply? (service equipment enclosure; grounded conductor at service; the grounding electrode conductor at the service; the grounding electrode conductor, if of sufficient size; or to one or more grounding electrodes used)

Is anyone aware of where to view Section 7.13 of NFPA 54-2009, National Fuel Gas Code, online without having to purchase it?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Thanks Gregg,

What I meant to ask was this: Does everyone feel that a #6, attached to a portion of metal pipe upstream from any CSST, will adequately protect the CSST from lightning?

And even though 250.104(B) does not cover CSST, do the bonding locations for the other side of the bonding conductor or jumper listed in 250.104(B) still apply? (service equipment enclosure; grounded conductor at service; the grounding electrode conductor at the service; the grounding electrode conductor, if of sufficient size; or to one or more grounding electrodes used)

Is anyone aware of where to view Section 7.13 of NFPA 54-2009, National Fuel Gas Code, online without having to purchase it?

The locations are the same as the manufacturer for termination locations as the four that are in 250.105 (B) as you stated.

7.13 .2 has been posted as written her by Dennis and I.

As far as the # 6 copper bonding; It is being tested by third party at this time as required by NFPA, ICC and other code bodies before it will be allowed to enter the next code cycle or have the product removed. (yellow cover)

The carbon compost is a much better product and does not require bonding by the manufactures, but is still require to be bonded under the CSST 7.13.1.

View attachment fd12-8-56d12-15_nfpa 54_csst.pdf

The locations are the same as the manufacturer for termination locations as the four that are in 250.105 (B) as you stated.

7.13 .2 has been posted as written her by Dennis and I.

As far as the # 6 copper bonding; It is being tested by third party at this time as required by NFPA, ICC and other code bodies before it will be allowed to enter the next code cycle or have the product removed. (yellow cover)

The carbon compost is a much better product and does not require bonding by the manufactures, but is still require to be bonded under the CSST 7.13.1.

View attachment 9089

Thanks again, especially for sharing the attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.