Main Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwood72

I can not find in the NEC if it is permitted to run the main grounding conductor through the main disconnect. For example, can it run from the meter through the disconnect switch to the ground rods, or does it have to run from the meter straight to the ground rods?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why not just make the connection in the Main Disconnect? It does not have to be made in the meter can.

1113854601_2.jpg

Roger

jwood72

This is something already installed. One authority is saying this is against NEC, the other is saying it is allowed. I was curious if the NEC has an article saying it can or can not be done. I did find where it has to be continuous to the rod with two exceptions 250.64 (C).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The GEC does have to be continuous but the NEC doesn't care how it get's to the rod(s). I would ask the authority that claims it to be wrong to show how he/she has come up with that opinion..

Roger

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well, there's the ferrous metal enclosure business, when that surrounds a GEC. Obviously, the main disconnect enclosure is grounded, but the code says enclosures must be bonded at each end for GEC's. Would you need to use a knockout, clamp, and bonding bushing where the GEC enters and exits the panel? Seems silly when you know the panel is already grounded and even more so if the GEC is bare and clamped.

jwood72

How it is installed is what I am scratching head over. The meter and main disconnect switch are installed on a concrete post. The overhead service comes into the meter. Inside the meter is where the bond takes place. From there the ground wire travels thru the nipple down into the disconnect with the service conductors. It runs thru a ground lug that is connected to the disc. enclosure, then runs to the conduit bonding bushings, then down thru it's own conduit to the ground rods. The ground wire is never broken "just the insulation striped back enough to make the connections to the lugs". It also only bonds in the meter, not the disconnect. So technically it is continuous to the rod with out splices. However, is the disconnect switch being used as a raceway?

jwood72

How it is installed is what I am scratching my head over. The meter and main disconnect switch are installed on a concrete post. The overhead service comes into the meter. Inside the meter is where the bond takes place. From there the ground wire travels thru the nipple down into the disconnect with the service conductors. It runs thru a ground lug that is connected to the disc. enclosure, then runs to the conduit bonding bushings, then down thru it's own conduit to the ground rods. The ground wire is never broken "just the insulation striped back enough to make the connections to the lugs". It also only bonds in the meter, not the disconnect. So technically it is continuous to the rod with out splices. However, is the disconnect switch being used as a raceway?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How it is installed is what I am scratching my head over. The meter and main disconnect switch are installed on a concrete post. The overhead service comes into the meter. Inside the meter is where the bond takes place.
This is fine
From there the ground wire travels thru the nipple down into the disconnect with the service conductors.
Still fine
It runs thru a ground lug that is connected to the disc. enclosure, then runs to the conduit bonding bushings, then down thru it's own conduit to the ground rods.
This is fine and I am going to assume the GEC raceway is PVC, if not we can follow up on Suemarks post.
The ground wire is never broken "just the insulation striped back enough to make the connections to the lugs". It also only bonds in the meter, not the disconnect. So technically it is continuous to the rod with out splices.
Still no problems with the installation.
However, is the disconnect switch being used as a raceway?
It can be used as a raceway, see 312.8 and read the whole section.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
shouldn't this have more "or's"?

1. Service drop, or
2. Meter can, or
3. Service disconnect

or I'm wrong (again)
Using a single OR in that situation is acceptable American English grammar and is quite common in speech as well as in print. Using an OR connector before each element except the first is also acceptable, and maybe preferred.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
shouldn't this have more "or's"?

1. Service drop, or
2. Meter can, or
3. Service disconnect

or I'm wrong (again)
Using a single OR in that situation is acceptable American English grammar and is quite common in speech as well as in print. Using an OR connector before each element except the first is also acceptable, and maybe preferred.

Think of it as a sentence rather than a formatted list and the usage seems more acceptable to the ear.
"We can do A, B, C, or D.

Think of it as a sentence rather than a formatted list and the usage seems more acceptable to the ear.
"We can do A, B, C, or D.

Thanks GoldDigger.

I'm just a cry baby and want thinks simple, precise and clear.

To me, the fact that it is in a formatted list makes it confusing.

It would be clear (for me) if they had stated, "A grounding electrode conductor must connect the grounded neutral conductor to a grounding electrode at any of the following: (followed by a list).

Hahahahaha......I just realized I said "I like things simple, precise and clear".......what am I doing in this business??? :lol:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hahahahaha......I just realized I said "I like things simple, precise and clear".......what am I doing in this business??? :lol:

Ohhhh, you mean:
  1. simple,
  2. precise, and
  3. clear

Gotcha ;)

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here the POCO doesn't want anything, that needs to be maintained by the EC, located on their side of the equipment.
So who lands the service entrance conductors in the meter can and why would a GEC termination in the meter need to be maintained more than any of the other connections?

I have heard POCO's state that before and it simply shows they are clueless.

BTW, I always hated those middle of the night emergency service calls for a GEC connection coming loose. :D

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So who lands the service entrance conductors in the meter can and why would a GEC termination in the meter need to be maintained more than any of the other connections?

I have heard POCO's state that before and it simply shows they are clueless.

BTW, I always hated those middle of the night emergency service calls for a GEC connection coming loose. :D

Roger
They just don't want it there. We mostly do all-in-ones here, but wouldn't really make any difference. Stack to meter can, three wire. Meter can to disconnect, three wire. Ground rod to disconnect and bond neutral.

In larger switch gear they do not want the ground rod in their pull section or even the UFER coming up in their section.

jwelectric

Roger
And it seems to always be during bad weather when this happens too :lol:Edited to ask if you are coming to Wilmington next month. Hope to see you and Dennis there

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And it seems to always be during bad weather when this happens too :lol:Edited to ask if you are coming to Wilmington next month. Hope to see you and Dennis there
Ain't that the truth. Mike, I would really like to go but I won't be able to make it, it will most likely be Raleigh in April.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.