How to tell AC/DC in the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
131014-1154 EDT

Use a compass or magnet if current is flowing.

Voltage only use a tongue test, it tastes different. Frog leg kick. Test with your fingers. Try electroplating. Electro sensitive paper or organic material. A diode and incandescent lamp. A PM DC motor. An AC induction motor. Find an electro-sensitive person that can detect radiation from smart meters. Possibly a divining rod. Anything else you might imagine. Study arc discharge. Listen for hum in an iron cored coil. Connect a headphone.

iwire

Staff member
What about the neutral part would that matter?

How can you spot a neutral?

White conductors are grounded conductors but are not always neutrals.

With grounded DC systems you will have a white that is not a neutral but is DC.

To answer your original question I read the labeling on the equipment the circuit is connected to.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
131014-1343 EDT

Edison and his crew invented the three wire system with a neutral to reduce the cost of copper required.

And also to provide a choice of two operating voltages, since transformers could not be used.....
Two birds, one stone. Very Edisonish.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
So there is no way to tell without a meter just by looking? I guess you could look at a tag or something couldn't you?
You could look for a sign that says "THIS IS A DC CIRCUIT", I guess. I am having a bit of trouble understanding where you are coming from with this question. Wire is wire. Whether it's AC or DC depends on what it's connected to. A white or white tagged wire usually means it is a grounded conductor, but that has nothing to do with whether it's AC or DC. Other than that, the wires (AC or DC) could be any color.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You could look for a sign that says "THIS IS A DC CIRCUIT", I guess. I am having a bit of trouble understanding where you are coming from with this question. Wire is wire. Whether it's AC or DC depends on what it's connected to. A white or white tagged wire usually means it is a grounded conductor, but that has nothing to do with whether it's AC or DC. Other than that, the wires (AC or DC) could be any color.
If you don't have a label to read and also do not have a voltmeter, just get out the compass you always carry and place it near one wire.
If when you turn on the load the needle vibrates it is AC. If it rotates to a new constant position, it is DC.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
131014-1343 EDT

Edison and his crew invented the three wire system with a neutral to reduce the cost of copper required.

Edison invented a 3 wire DC system using lights in series, which did reduce the amount of wiring needed. Our 3 wire AC system is similar to Edison's DC system, but does not use series loads.

I personally think Edison was a scoundrel, and I am not fond of him getting credit he doesn't deserve. I don't think he deserves credit for inventing the 120/240 volt split phase AC system we now use.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How can you tell the difference in AC and DC out in the field? If it has a neutral its AC right?

If you have a no-contact tester and it indicates, it's AC.

If you have an Ideal solenoid tester, it will tell you if it's AC or DC by which of the LED's light up.

If the wires are on a transformer, it's AC.

If the wires are on a battery, it's DC.

Motors and incandescent lights can be either.

And, as others have said, using a volt meter will work, too.

Besoeker

An oscilloscope would answer the question in a single measurements but I accept that not all of us carry one around with us.
But most of us would have a multimeter these days.

DC is most often derived from an AC source so has some ripple.
Set the meter to DCV and measure the voltage.
Do the same on ACV and measure the voltage.

If the second measurement greatly exceeds the first, you have AC.

kwired

Electron manager
An oscilloscope

I was going to say that then you got it with the last post before I got here.

Eddycurrent, you also may be familiar with the supply and can tell pretty easily what you are dealing with just because of what you see there.

If utility supplied, there is like over 99% chance it will be AC. If it is separately derived, but from utility supply, it is still AC unless there is rectifier involved. On site produced power - you must know something about the source before you can tell for certain.

Eddy Current

I was going to say that then you got it with the last post before I got here.

Eddycurrent, you also may be familiar with the supply and can tell pretty easily what you are dealing with just because of what you see there.

If utility supplied, there is like over 99% chance it will be AC. If it is separately derived, but from utility supply, it is still AC unless there is rectifier involved. On site produced power - you must know something about the source before you can tell for certain.

I didn't know DC couldn't be transformed. This brings up another dumb question, do volt tracers work on dc power?

Status
Not open for further replies.