How to tell AC/DC in the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
So then there is NOT anyway to identify (Dig Safe) an underground DC power line before excavating in the future?

And if NOT... What can be added to a trench with the DC line to find it in the future?
I can find it with my underground locator. Will have to disconnect the line before connecting my locator, or if one of the conductors is grounded I can trace that one without much worry over damaging my locator, but depending on what this line is feeding I could disconnect it to prevent damage to connected equipment from the locator also. Otherwise shields, tracers, equipment grounding conductors running with the line are locatable. Non metallic piping often has a tracer wire buried with it these days for locating purposes. Warning tape with metal foil in it is also used, but you have to remember you are locating the warning tape and not what it is marking.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My locator induces a tone onto a wire even while it is in use and see no reason for it not to work on a dc circuit. It is better with direct connection. My unit is over 20 years old. Newer ones have to be better. So, Yes, the wire can be found.

One of the area electricians would connect a spark plug wire (DC) to faulted conductor then follow an AM radio to the fault.

kwired

Electron manager
Is this a serious question? I thought this was a forum for electricians. I do like the creative name though, Eddy Current.

You may be surprised at how many people that call themselves electricians do not know the answer to that question, may be understandable for someone with little experience, but there are also some with years of experience that don't really know the fundamentals all that well.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Eddie, I see you list yourself as an Electrical Helper. I want to impart some wisdom on you, with no intention of sounding preachy or condescending. We don't know here, what kind of lead men you work with and whether they are good instructors so...

The largest thing I pound in to the heads of new electricians is never touch a wire you have not personally verified to be dead! That is also the second rule. I am telling you this because reading through this thread it has jumped out at me. Some of the questions and answers go toward wire color etc. That is like, "is a green wire always ground?" The answer is absolutely no! The green wire is exactly what the installer wired it up to be. I have seen the bare wire in a romex used as a traveler in 3 way switches more than once.

All that said, the indication that you use a meter should be the definitive answer. In my opinion, all people working on electrical systems should have a meter. They should be trained in how to use it. FIRST! It can be a 20 dollar really cheap meter to start. I have a habit of telling helpers/apprentices all of this and over and over pounding in that you don't touch until you personally verify. I will regularly tell an apprentice, "Go over there and disconnect that box, I already checked it. It is dead." I will then watch and if they actually disconnect without touching, I will council them and try again. A "tick" tracer is not good enough. Always check your meter on a known live source first, and then on the circuit you are testing and then on a know live source again. I have personally seen a meter fail in between tests. Your life is not worth the few seconds you save by short cutting.

kwired

Electron manager
We have found to many disconnects that do not work for one reason or another to ignore this advice.

I pulled a utility meter last year(?) that did not remove power from the farm. The up down POCO loop was shorted on one leg.
Their electric bill probably saw an average monthly increase after fixing that problem I bet.

never guess, never assume

even if it looks familiar, double check.

get yourself a decent meter and keep it on hand.

if you know the equipment well enough you can tell make a good guess but double check with your meter.

Meter for AC and DC, then tag the wires. I have seen some really weird stuff out there, even in low voltage DC land.

there is nothing worse than frying a system because you were too lazy to check and just assumed something.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
You can tell by the taste :D That test also works with 1ph VS 3ph.

Seriously - always test and never assume.

SceneryDriver

jcassity

ok, so how can you tell you ask,,

first check for voltage with a meter by first checking for the highest scale AC volts, then the highest scale DC Volts.
If nether give you a reading then your likely on a chassis ground wire.

some people carry home made or purchased Test lights that will illuminate just for a quick verification there is "A voltage" by cliping one lead to the chassis of the device and the other end to the suspect wire.

i just carry my meter, i miss my simpson 360,, letting someone borrow it became its death. You cant just leave the gator clip meter leads hooked up and rotate the dial... it never zero'd out correctly after that.

Last edited:

jcassity

If you don't have a label to read and also do not have a voltmeter, just get out the compass you always carry and place it near one wire.
If when you turn on the load the needle vibrates it is AC. If it rotates to a new constant position, it is DC.

and my son beats me off this keyboard as he screams with a curious grin and excitment "DAD!!!!!!! GET THE COMPASS,,,,,NOW!!!!!!!!":thumbsup:

out to the garage we go thanks to you!

oh well, it plays into homeschooling.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
FWIW, you may see that the meter needle is bent from hitting the full scale stop at high speed. If so, and if you can get at the bare face of the meter, you can carefully bend it back.
In the worst case the bearings were also damaged or the shaft bent. In that case the zero will change as you go between horizontal and vertical orientation. If that has happened it is probably beyond repair.

Tapatalk...

kwired

Electron manager
There are some simple voltage/continuity testers that will tell you if it is AC or DC. If connected to DC and correct polarity (according to the marking on the leads) they will give a steady beep and display closest nominal voltage, reverse polarity and they still display same voltage but no audible sounds. Connect to AC and the sound turns into more of a buzzing sound.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
There are some simple voltage/continuity testers that will tell you if it is AC or DC. If connected to DC and correct polarity (according to the marking on the leads) they will give a steady beep and display closest nominal voltage, reverse polarity and they still display same voltage but no audible sounds. Connect to AC and the sound turns into more of a buzzing sound.

Like the Ideal Vol-Con XL. Not a single control. Automatically tells you AC voltage or if there is DC there instead. One of my favorite test gadgets. It's not affected by 'phantom voltage' but will tell you of it's presence by the way the neon indicators light.

th

kwired

Electron manager
Like the Ideal Vol-Con XL. Not a single control. Automatically tells you AC voltage or if there is DC there instead. One of my favorite test gadgets. It's not affected by 'phantom voltage' but will tell you of it's presence by the way the neon indicators light.

th
I have not used that particular model but is probably a lot like what I have used. I have used a greenlee model but not sure what the model number is. Perfect tool for general maintenance - other than there is no ammeter function to it, but having no user settings to deal with is a plus for some users.

jcassity

The IDEAL 61-768 is the best all around meter......
gives you everything you need plus CLAMP ON AC Amps and CLAMP ON DC AMPS

its sister modle omitts AC/DC ampacity in trade for two functions which are Frequency and Capcitance.

Naturally i had to buy both but wished there was one with both models combined.

the least amount of tools you have to carry in which each individual tool "does the most" helps you not carry too many tools around.

Status
Not open for further replies.