Remodel can in ceiling tile of dropped ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I am looking at putting in some 6 inch remodel cans in a dropped ceiling with 2x2 tiles that appear to be of good quality. Has any one had any problems doing this. It is in a persons residence.
Thanks Dave

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am looking at putting in some 6 inch remodel cans in a dropped ceiling with 2x2 tiles that appear to be of good quality. Has any one had any problems doing this. It is in a persons residence.
Thanks Dave
Nope it's very easy to do too,just support them with jack chain so the lights are not just sitting on the-ceiling:thumbsup:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Nope it's very easy to do too,just support them with jack chain so the lights are not just sitting on the-ceiling:thumbsup:

Jack chain, Never heard of using that . I thought that only support wires were to be used.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thanks Dave

what i've done is use a 2'x2' x 1/8" piece of hardboard with a 6 3/8" hole cut in the center,
and put it behind the ceiling tile.

what happens after about six months, the tiles start sagging under the weight of the fixture,
and the tiles start crumbling without backing.

Daja7

I would agree with using new work cans. The remodels will be more trouble that it is worth. easier to use bar brackets. not sure if you still need wire supports or not but still they way to go. No call back.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Jack chain, Never heard of using that . I thought that only support wires were to be used.
You can use either jack chain or tie wire,also it could be a state thing we use jack chain or tie wire,depending preference :thumbsup:

I agree with the other guys...use new work Cans.

kwired

Electron manager

You can use anything suitable for the load to be carried, with fire resistance a consideration in certain applications. 3/8" chain would be pretty impractical but would be acceptable.

growler

Thanks Dave

Why would you use remodel cans for this application? Why not standard cans?

Curt is right there is no advantage to useing remodel cans. You can't just fish the cable from fixture to fixture and let it lay on the ceiling so you are still going to have to pop out those ceiling tiles.

You don't even gain any head room by useing old works cans so you need to pop out some tiles to see if you are going to have room for those cans. A drop ceiling in residential is often only a very few inches down from the floor joist. There is a good chance you will need the low profile cans and they don't even sell those in the old works (remodel) type.

My advice is to pop out some tiles and see what you are dealing with before you even purchase materials. Many times there is an AC duct or plumbing pipe right where you were planning on running your fixtures and they are only 2" about the grid.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It actually says in the code that if installed in a dropped ceiling that it has to be attached to the structure. So you can't use an old work can.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It actually says in the code that if installed in a dropped ceiling that it has to be attached to the structure. So you can't use an old work can.

And what would prohibit someone from using an old work can as long as they cobbled together a way to also attach it to the structure?
Does the attachment method have to be part of the product's listing to satisfy you?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You said secured to the structure.

I do not consider a ceiling grid to be 'the structure'.
If it's built, it's a sturcture. I don't have the standards right in front of me, but it's no different than screwing a 2x4 to the grid and then putting the wires on the oppisite corners. You want that ceiling to move together otherwise harmonics step in and the lighter stuff and the heavier stuff starts seperating and you beat the ceiling apart. If that does happen then the wires are there to keep the fixture from falling down.

OK, found the short version. "All lighting fixtures shall be positively attached to the suspended ceiling system. The attachment device shall have a capacity of 100% of the lighting fixture weight acting in any direction."

"Light fixtures weighing less than 10 pounds shall have one #12 gage hanger wire connected from the tixture housing to the structure above."

"Light fixtures weighing more than 10 pounds but less than 56 pounds shall have two #12 gage hanger wires connected from the fixture housing to the structure above."

I don't make this stuff up. You question an inspector when he's wrong and you question him when he's right. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.