Remodel can in ceiling tile of dropped ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If it's built, it's a sturcture.

I don't make this stuff up. You question an inspector when he's wrong and you question him when he's right. :D
The suspended ceiling is a structure, but under the specific combination of words used for dedicated electrical space it is not the '"structural ceiling, for exsmple
Being a structure and being structural are not as close as they seem.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I can cobble something together that effectively attaches the remodel can to the grid as well as has additional support from the structural ceiling. But I can also spend less time and money by just using non remodel cans.:happyyes:

I do this all the time with bathroom exhaust fans or other similar equipment. Many don't come with bar hangers but they can be purchased separately. The fact that picking up the bar hangers means a 40 mile drive plus return trip means improvising is going to cost much less.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
"All lighting fixtures shall be positively attached to the suspended ceiling system. The attachment device shall have a capacity of 100% of the lighting fixture weight acting in any direction."

"Light fixtures weighing less than 10 pounds shall have one #12 gage hanger wire connected from the tixture housing to the structure above."

"Light fixtures weighing more than 10 pounds but less than 56 pounds shall have two #12 gage hanger wires connected from the fixture housing to the structure above."
Is that from the IBC? I don't think I've run across that section yet.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You have to go to the CISCA Standards (Ceilings & Interior Systems Construction Association). Also ASTM C 635 and ASTM C 636, both of which are referenced in the building code (803.9.1.1)
Ah. That explains why I haven't come across it. Thanks.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Ah. That explains why I haven't come across it. Thanks.

The code is going more and more towards referencing standards instead of putting in actual code language. The problem is, no one buys the standards and for good reason. We've seen 9 page standards going for as much as $50.

John120/240

Using Halo or Juno new work cans. Temporarily place the can on the grid to determine hole location. Cut ceiling tile to fit grid w/hole. Remove the temporary can. Install Ceiling tile. Re install can & attach support wires from adjacent ceiling tiles. If you are going to screw the can to the grid do so from adjacent ceiling tiles.

Last edited:

GerryB

how do you put in a remodel can with no tile? Either way you need the skills of cutting a hole in the tile.

What I meant was if it's a decent tile cut a hole and pop the can in, just like sheet rock. It can be pretty difficult to screw it to the grid from an adjacent tile as John 120/240 said if it's a tight ceiling. One time I drilled holes in the grid and secured it with tie wire, worked pretty good.

iwire

Staff member
Again I recommend purchasing AG bars from Caddy or B-Line.

They are made for this, they clip onto the grid firmly no drilling required.

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcSusBar4LghtFix.asp

1087.jpg

10848691.jpg

They have models to fit the different can makers and are stock items in good supply houses.

kwired

Electron manager
IIRC... the HALO cans' clips snapped right onto the grid (after removing the factory installed mounting nails).

Most "new work" cans I have ever seen have provisions for fastening to suspended ceiling grid. Just how secure they fasten to the grid is kind of questionable on some of them though, but same can be said for the bend out hooks on many troffer fixtures.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Most "new work" cans I have ever seen have provisions for fastening to suspended ceiling grid. Just how secure they fasten to the grid is kind of questionable on some of them though, but same can be said for the bend out hooks on many troffer fixtures.
That's why I have the "broom stick" test. If I can push the fixture up then the clips aren't doing their job and you need some screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.