inverter generator hooked to transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

moey

I have a 120v manual transfer switch and a regular 4000w generator. I'm thinking about getting a inverter generator specifically the champion 2000w it has a floating neutral. Is there anything wrong with hooking this to a 120v transfer switch? I have a circuit for my pellet stove that I would like to power in a long power outage and don't like the idea of a extension cord for it. I'm aware that I would have to make a power cord for it since the transfer switch hookup is a L5-15 and the generator is a standard 15amp outlet.

Is there anything wrong with hooking up a inverter type generator to a transfer switch?

ron

Is the 120V MTS switching the neutral or is the neutral un-switched?

If un-switched, then the generator should be floating anyway, since you already have a N-G bond at the service entrance.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a 120v manual transfer switch and a regular 4000w generator. I'm thinking about getting a inverter generator specifically the champion 2000w it has a floating neutral. Is there anything wrong with hooking this to a 120v transfer switch? I have a circuit for my pellet stove that I would like to power in a long power outage and don't like the idea of a extension cord for it. I'm aware that I would have to make a power cord for it since the transfer switch hookup is a L5-15 and the generator is a standard 15amp outlet.

Is there anything wrong with hooking up a inverter type generator to a transfer switch?

I thought UL required these kind of generators to have a factory neutral bond to the generator frame.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with hooking up an inverter type generator to a transfer switch.

There are better options for keeping your pellet stove running that don't involve running a generator 24/7.

moey

Is the 120V MTS switching the neutral or is the neutral un-switched?

If un-switched, then the generator should be floating anyway, since you already have a N-G bond at the service entrance.

Neutral is un-switched by the MTS. And yes N-G bond at the service entrance.

I just wanted to make sure Im not overlooking something about inverter generators.

moey

I thought UL required these kind of generators to have a factory neutral bond to the generator frame.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with hooking up an inverter type generator to a transfer switch.

There are better options for keeping your pellet stove running that don't involve running a generator 24/7.

They are usually floating because they are most often used with a RV hookup rather then a jobsite. At least the champion ones are.

Status
Not open for further replies.