GEC requirements for pole mounted arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

Installing 20 panel enphase m215 microinverter system on ground mounted, concrete encased poles. First ground mount I've done in quite a while and I'm a little fuzzy on what the requirements are for grounding/bonding at the array location. For the microinverters, I'll be running a #8 THWN-2 continuous through each inverter back to the panel where the opd will be located. Will pick up the rails and other assocaited equipment with an egc. Do I also need to install a grounding electrode and/or separate GEC at the array. If so, does this need to tie in with the GEC going back to my panel location?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Installing 20 panel enphase m215 microinverter system on ground mounted, concrete encased poles. First ground mount I've done in quite a while and I'm a little fuzzy on what the requirements are for grounding/bonding at the array location. For the microinverters, I'll be running a #8 THWN-2 continuous through each inverter back to the panel where the opd will be located. Will pick up the rails and other assocaited equipment with an egc. Do I also need to install a grounding electrode and/or separate GEC at the array. If so, does this need to tie in with the GEC going back to my panel location?
The requirements change significantly with NEC cycle. What applies in your area?
Is your profile listing of 2011 correct?

shortcircuit2

I'll take a shot at this one...

Because you are running an AC feeder to a structure...you need to comply with 225.30, then 225.31 and install a disconnecting means per 225.32, 225.33, 225.34, and 225.36.

Then install a grounding electrode system per 250.32

mwm1752

I'll take a shot at this one...

Because you are running an AC feeder to a structure...you need to comply with 225.30, then 225.31 and install a disconnecting means per 225.32, 225.33, 225.34, and 225.36.

Then install a grounding electrode system per 250.32

Depending on the pole install method you could make your own UFUR for the electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.