Is it a requirement or good idea to ground metal bleachers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
"Grounding"? We are still not sure what you mean. Try this. If you connect a wire the bleachers what color is it and what does it do?

For you and GoldDigger;

Yes, I have confused grounding and bonding. I'm not the first, nor likely to be the last or else this particular sub-forum wouldn't exist. Bond the bleachers to the ground bar in the service panel, assuming that there's one anywhere in the vicinity, or the system grounding conductor or grounding electrode conductor, whichever one is handy. Copper wire with a green or green/yellow stripe outer covering.

Clearly I'm not winning any hearts and minds on this issue so I'm dropping it. I'll watch from the sidelines on this one.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
For you and GoldDigger;

Yes, I have confused grounding and bonding. I'm not the first, nor likely to be the last or else this particular sub-forum wouldn't exist. Bond the bleachers to the ground bar in the service panel, assuming that there's one anywhere in the vicinity, or the system grounding conductor or grounding electrode conductor, whichever one is handy. Copper wire with a green or green/yellow stripe outer covering.

Clearly I'm not winning any hearts and minds on this issue so I'm dropping it. I'll watch from the sidelines on this one.
Just as a side note, there are all metal bleacher systems with a set of concrete base pads. Very easy to bond to the service panel with one wire, and maybe a good idea if there are concession stands or overhead power lines or other possible sources from which they could be energized.
And there are concrete bleachers with metal seats or benches bolted to them. Much harder to bond, and I would say not worth the effort. Except maybe sections which for some reason really are likely to become energized.

ceb58

Their is another member here that told me of the trouble they had with a state inspector. She was trying to require a sprinkler system for outdoor aluminum bleachers. Her train of thought was that Aluminum will burn. :slaphead::jawdrop::slaphead:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Their is another member here that told me of the trouble they had with a state inspector. She was trying to require a sprinkler system for outdoor aluminum bleachers. Her train of thought was that Aluminum will burn. :slaphead::jawdrop::slaphead:

Aluminum, magnesium, they're both pretty shiney.:slaphead:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Combine the aluminum bleachers with rusty bolts holding them down and you almost have thermite, right? :)

kwired

Electron manager
Who says they won't? But you do need to introduce enough heat somehow.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Well, aluminum is indeed flammable...

http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/alme.htm

...though not under any conditions a set of bleachers is ever likely to experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.