Does this meet code? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It looks like after the boxes were set on this concrete wall someone installed a 2" thick piece of foam insulation on the wall.

Miust be 50 washers used to space the light switch out.

Appears like they had not gotten around to figuring out what to do with the outlet.

The same place I watched two electricians try to bend a piece of EMT from a ceiling jbox down to an outlet mounted on a column. They spent the better part of a day trying to make it work. They had three pieces of EMT they had bent and decided were not pretty enough laying on the floor by the end of the day..

I am watching them and thinking that if they moved the box about 6 inches they would be able to make a single simple bend.

On the third try that is what they did. Took them maybe 15 minutes.

Attachments

• 1126131112.jpg
    1126131112.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1126131215.jpg
    1126131215.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jumper

I assume this was a rhetorical question.

If not:

314.20 In Wall or Ceiling. In walls or ceilings with a
surface of concrete, tile, gypsum, plaster, or other noncombustible
material, boxes employing a flush-type cover or
faceplate shall be installed so that the front edge of the box,
plaster ring, extension ring, or listed extender will not be
set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (1?4 in.).
In walls and ceilings constructed of wood or other combustible
surface material, boxes, plaster rings, extension
rings, or listed extenders shall be flush with the finished
surface or project therefrom.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Generally you could use a handy box extension with some box extenders. Even a deep wiremold extension ring could be used. The washer thing is ridiculous. If I had to do that I could have cut a piece of 1/2" pvc or emt

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
doesn't someone make a 2" extension ring of some sort?
Arlington makes one that goes 1-1/2", as I recall Carlon's is less.
A "standard" extension box is 1-1/2. That plus an Arlington would make a silk purse from a sow's ear :D

growler

The same place I watched two electricians try to bend a piece of EMT from a ceiling jbox down to an outlet mounted on a column. They spent the better part of a day trying to make it work. They had three pieces of EMT they had bent and decided were not pretty enough laying on the floor by the end of the day..

Probably a Time & Materials job and work was slow so they decided to make this job last.

They make a 2" rise mud ring...very simple.

Pjholguin :cool:

It looks like after the boxes were set on this concrete wall someone installed a 2" thick piece of foam insulation on the wall.

Miust be 50 washers used to space the light switch out.

Appears like they had not gotten around to figuring out what to do with the outlet.

I am watching them and thinking that if they moved the box about 6 inches they would be able to make a single simple bend.

On the third try that is what they did. Took them maybe 15 minutes.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This was a really strange installation. It was a mixture of high quality work and stuff like this. Made me wonder if there were two contractors involved.
Perhaps a different worker or unsupervised doing the finish work than did the rough in? Or is the mix more pervasive than that?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Perhaps a different worker or unsupervised doing the finish work than did the rough in? Or is the mix more pervasive than that?

the cable tray work is pretty nice except for the holes they cut into the cabinets are a little ugly but the tray work itself is pretty nice.

most of the conduit I saw was nice looking, but there are all these boxes inset into the insulation. It maybe that they just have not had time to deal with them. They are trying to start the plant up while finishing building it. never an easy thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.