Floor Receptacle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsilva

I need to install 5 receptacle on the concrete floor in a industrial facility. My question is do I need to protect these in floor receptacles with a GFCI, in case there is a water spill or when someone washes the floor.
Please comment!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I need to install 5 receptacle on the concrete floor in a industrial facility. My question is do I need to protect these in floor receptacles with a GFCI, in case there is a water spill or when someone washes the floor.
Please comment!

Only in an area covered in 210.8(B) , also you should check your states amendments to the NEC.

jumper

You might.

210.8(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, singlephase,
15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations
specified in 210.8(B)(1) through (8) shall have
ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(6) Indoor wet locations

Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete
slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth
; in locations
subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such
as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed
to weather.

iwire

Staff member
You might.

I disagree that a floor box in a slab requires a GFCI just because it is in a slab.

I would say at most the inside of the floor box is a wet location requiring a WR device but the location the receptacle serves is not automatically a wet location.

I have done 100s of floor outlets and I would be surprised if a single one is on a GFCI.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would say keep the GFCI unit away from the wet location. (dead front unit on a wall or a GFCI circuit breaker)

Does the floor get washed or mopped?

If the floor gets washed, then you might want to provide a a drain hole at the bottom of ground box so over time it does not get filed with water.

jumper

I disagree that a floor box in a slab requires a GFCI just because it is in a slab.

I would say at most the inside of the floor box is a wet location requiring a WR device but the location the receptacle serves is not automatically a wet location.

I have done 100s of floor outlets and I would be surprised if a single one is on a GFCI.

Not arguing, I am pretty sure I wrote " it might", I did not say it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.