queens breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
My code teacher asked the class to find out what a "queens breaker" was and what they do. For extra points. I have search google for a good 20 mins. And could not find a thing. Anyone here know what a queens breaker is. He would not give any more info than the name. My guess is its something way before my time.

Thanks guys

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My code teacher asked the class to find out what a "queens breaker" was and what they do. For extra points. I have search google for a good 20 mins. And could not find a thing. Anyone here know what a queens breaker is. He would not give any more info than the name. My guess is its something way before my time.

Thanks guys
Since you are from the NE, I suppose it is possible that the term originated in Canada, so there may be a clue there. Do our Canadian members have any idea?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
only thing I find is a filter queen circuit breaker for a filter queen vacuum
Also Speed Queen circuit breaker for Speed Queen washer.
And articles of clothing (windbreaker), and Japanese Manga title, and opposite of king-maker in politics...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Or it may be a kludge of some kind from New York (Queens) similar to the way one circuit is called a California three-way and another a Chicago three-way.

Or it could be a wire stretcher or maybe a nail bit......

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Thanks guys

Well, I'm an old guy in trade terms and I have to say I have never heard the term. Maybe you could turn the tables and ask if he knows what a delta breaker is, and why was it used, as this is also something that is from the past.
Please let us know what a queens breaker is when you find out.
;)

masterinbama

We stretched copper wire in my High School physics class so it may be possible to attach one end of a short wire to a pichup truck and give it a yank or two.

I stretched some 50 year old #8 solid in 1" GRS that was feeding some parking lot lights. Needless to say, we couldn't reuse the existing conduit like the plans said.

kwired

Electron manager
Well, I'm an old guy in trade terms and I have to say I have never heard the term. Maybe you could turn the tables and ask if he knows what a delta breaker is, and why was it used, as this is also something that is from the past.
Please let us know what a queens breaker is when you find out.
;)
I was going to suggest that it may be local slang (somewhere, maybe Queens, NY?) for a delta breaker.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I was going to suggest that it may be local slang (somewhere, maybe Queens, NY?) for a delta breaker.

For some reason a delta breaker just came to mind when I read the OP. Truth is, I have no idea what a queens breaker is. You may be right though, it could be a local slang term where they used these.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
For some reason a delta breaker just came to mind when I read the OP. Truth is, I have no idea what a queens breaker is. You may be right though, it could be a local slang term where they used these.
For those who do not know what a delta breaker is either: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=87215

Too bad we do not know whether the instructor was saying "queens breaker", "queen's breaker" or "Queens breaker". That might help. :)

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I stretched some 50 year old #8 solid in 1" GRS that was feeding some parking lot lights. Needless to say, we couldn't reuse the existing conduit like the plans said.
No, no, no! You're supposed to disconnect the wires first and then pull them out of the conduit. What're you, new? :p

Sorry, OP, I've got no idea what a queens breaker is either. I'm inclined to say that if Google doesn't know about it, it never existed. :D

queens breaker

I ran into my code teacher tonight when i was in my transfomers class and tried to pry some hints out of him. And all he said was "its a type of overcurrent device. And he has a early 1900's code book that has articals on queens breakers". Idk if the nec goes back that far. And it was a verbel question so idk if its queens or queen's.Google has shown no light on the subject. I dont think it has anything to do with the vacuum or a dishwasher any more. I also dont think its anything like a nail bit. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.