removal of sealing compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I never found an "easy" way but I've been told an overnight solution of "White Vinegar" will cause it to dissipate.
(I have used that method successfully with mortar mix in conduit)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I never found an "easy" way but I've been told an overnight solution of "White Vinegar" will cause it to dissipate.
(I have used that method successfully with mortar mix in conduit)

A weak acid, like vinegar or a lime removal product, will attack any lime ( calcium carbonate) based substance like mortar. It will not necessarily do any good for an organic adhesive based product.
A stronger acid like hydrochloric (muriatic) acid will even etch concrete, but will not be very good for wire or the surroundings.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Some cast, rather than malleable, seal fittings can be rather easy to remove; but, if the compound (cement) is properly listed to be used with an explosionproof seal as required by Sections 501.15(C)(1)&(2), you best be prepared to replace the wiring as well. This is one of the major reasons for removing the explosionproof requirement for Class I, Division 2, boundary seals. Explosionproof seals are still required for Class I, Division 2 enclosures that are required to be explosionpoof.

JJWalecka

Some cast, rather than malleable, seal fittings can be rather easy to remove; but, if the compound (cement) is properly listed to be used with an explosionproof seal as required by Sections 501.15(C)(1)&(2), you best be prepared to replace the wiring as well. This is one of the major reasons for removing the explosionproof requirement for Class I, Division 2, boundary seals. Explosionproof seals are still required for Class I, Division 2 enclosures that are required to be explosionpoof.

Somehow there is a dead short between the hot phase and the conduit, no grounding conductor. Need to remove old conductors and pull in New conductors and reseal with compound.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Somehow there is a dead short between the hot phase and the conduit, no grounding conductor. Need to remove old conductors and pull in New conductors and reseal with compound.
You may be in luck, with the possible (big) problem that the live conductor has welded to the raceway. If it has, you will definitely need to clean the conduit thoroughly and hope the internal finish hasn't been damaged.

Since you have to replace the conductors anyway you may as well simply cut the seal fitting off. Replacing an explosionproof seal will now take a properly located explosionproof union, rethreading and reinstalling everything.

JJWalecka

You may be in luck, with the possible (big) problem that the live conductor has welded to the raceway. If it has, you will definitely need to clean the conduit thoroughly and hope the internal finish hasn't been damaged.

Since you have to replace the conductors anyway you may as well simply cut the seal fitting off. Replacing an explosionproof seal will now take a properly located explosionproof union, rethreading and reinstalling everything.

I hope to cut the seal off without damaging the threads of the nipple penetrating through the slab??
Or I cut the hole thing off and install an explosion proof union and new seal off, but the rigid is about a 1/2 in from the wall....how will I rethread it without Jack hammering the floor?

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
I hope to cut the seal off without damaging the threads of the nipple penetrating through the slab??
Or I cut the hole thing off and install an explosion proof union and new seal off, but the rigid is about a 1/2 in from the wall....how will I rethread it without Jack hammering the floor?

Cut the sealing fitting and not the raceway and you will not have to try to thread the raceway then. Sealing compound will be hard on sawzall blades and you may need to cut with a grinder or other abrasive type cutter - of course you possibly have the hazardous location and a spark producing procedure to deal with here, but even the sawzall blade or most all steel cutting methods will have potential to produce sparks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I appreciate kwired's clarification that you only need to cut the seal fitting and not the conduit. That's what I meant in post #6 but I can see a different interpretation.

Two things I don't yet believe we have established: What is the location's electrical area classification and what is the purpose of the seal? Stub-ups are typically boundary seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.