Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Reaching out for ideas. Have a job coming up that consist of removing a light fixture and installing a duplex receptacle in a garage ceiling for a door opener. The old boxes are the standard round ceiling boxes. I know Raco makes a metal round duplex cover but it is the same size as the box and will not cover the cutout sheetrock. Cant find a plastic round one and a regular jumbo still leaves a crack on the sides. Any suggestions?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Reaching out for ideas. Have a job coming up that consist of removing a light fixture and installing a duplex receptacle in a garage ceiling for a door opener. The old boxes are the standard round ceiling boxes. I know Raco makes a metal round duplex cover but it is the same size as the box and will not cover the cutout sheetrock. Cant find a plastic round one and a regular jumbo still leaves a crack on the sides. Any suggestions?

change box to 2/gang and use 2 duplex receptacles?

Or if you're stuck with round box--get creative with plastic medallion?

ceb58

change box to 2/gang and use 2 duplex receptacles?

Or if you're stuck with round box--get creative with plastic medallion?

Do not want to go the 2 gang rout. I didn't mention that I have 250 houses to do. Going to cut in a SG box with a GFCI above panel and run to ceiling recp. Could just hit it with white caulk on the sides but..............

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Use a round wiremold collar box, a short piece of wiremold and another box for the receptacle. Also a GFCI receptacle is required to be readily accessible which is difficult if the ceiling is over 7'.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Use a round wiremold collar box, a short piece of wiremold and another box for the receptacle. Also a GFCI receptacle is required to be readily accessible which is difficult if the ceiling is over 7'.

Hence why he's putting the GFCI in a box just above the panel.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
how about you install a single receptacle and use this cover.
Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 8.26.02 PM.png

ceb58

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think that you could get a custom oversized plate made in quantity 200 for $5 or less each. I just did a quickie check on an online waterjet place, and got a quote of $6 each for 7" diameter steel circles with duplex cutouts in the center. You should be able to do better with a real quote from a local place

-Jon

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Do not want to go the 2 gang rout. I didn't mention that I have 250 houses to do. Going to cut in a SG box with a GFCI above panel and run to ceiling recp. Could just hit it with white caulk on the sides but..............

duh. outlet for garage door opener in ceiling needs to be GFCI? (didn't get the memo)
thought it didn't need to be.... just the outlets normally accessed for washer, dryer,
and convenience outlets in the garage.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I like that. Will the receptacle yoke connect to the round box?

that's the problem. stuff doesn't line up.... now... what if..... you
took a bell box, drilled holes in the back spaced correctly to hit the screw
holes in the round box, and had a sheet metal shop shear up some trims
5" square? pop a 1/2" ko in the center, attach the bell box to the flashing,
drill two holes thru both of them to mount it with screws, and then put in a
device and call it good. it can all be removed to access the connections.....

that's probably how i'd do it. call it about $7 in materials... and it'll go up quick.
you can prefab all of it and just install......

cheaperer would be a 104 handi box with a gal cover for the device.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
duh. outlet for garage door opener in ceiling needs to be GFCI? (didn't get the memo)
thought it didn't need to be.... just the outlets normally accessed for washer, dryer,
Not sure about attached garages but detached, Yes.

ceb58

210.8 (A)(2) States receptacles in the garage shall be GFCI'ed. No differentiation for the receptacles in the ceiling. Going with the single recpt. with the DG cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.