Termonology

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
For anyone that doesn't know, he is the one that discovered, or at least the one most people give credit for, the concrete encased electrode, and some call it a "Ufer" because of that.

I will not say he definitely discovered it or exactly what he did because I really don't know, but his name is commonly tied to CEE's somehow.
He discovered it? They occur naturally? :D

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I thought the OP was looking to start a thread on slang, not a discussion of the slang: One other person posted some so I will also play as I have lived in California and Florida so things don't always cross the Continent. See if you can assign what they are.

Goof ring
Hold it or Battleships, or F clips
Jake
a$$hole sorry, but this is actually used for a loop in the wire when pulling No offense meant.
greenfield
mini
round house, round robin, full boat
monkey poop

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
How many naturally occurring concrete footings with metal reinforcing materials have you seen? All the ones I have ever seen were man made:p
And just as Columbus "discovered" America, and opened it to exploitation by the winners, Ufer discovered that the conventional process of building a concrete foundation also provided a good ground electrode which could be exploited. :)
Which in turn also led to concrete encased electrodes being deliberately built even where no concrete foundation was needed.

ggunn

Occupation
How many naturally occurring concrete footings with metal reinforcing materials have you seen? All the ones I have ever seen were man made:p
My point exactly. I was just poking fun at you over the difference between discovery and invention. Nothing to see here. Move along. :p

Last edited:

Wattman

Hello Everyone

I would like to say there will be no wrong answers, and would like for all levels to reply without fear of belittlement, what is needed to meet the requirement of the specification or their understanding or interpretation of the term. It is the assumption that there is no other information available and no other source to contact for clarification of the term or statement you are the only deciding party as to how the condition will be met for you to commit company manpower, resources or compliance assurance. If you feel there are issues with any code, cost or labor issues, or a more clear statement please elaborate.

Your input will be greatly appreciated
Watt

:lol: :happyno: :happyyes: :D :eek: :rant: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

2nd

"All MC cable shall have a self-contained neutral and ground wire, and be installed in strict accordance with NEC requirements. As specified in the NEC there shall be no shared neutrals for: low voltage systems."

This was in the spec for a project by an EE

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have problems with any "as specified in the NEC" comments about something which is not mentioned in the NEC at all or when the cited NEC requirement does not apply. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello Everyone

I have been in the electrical field for 30 years and have came across a lot of "terminology" and ?spec statements? and slang, for electrical components, devices and methods, that are sometimes misunderstood or overcomplicated by associates with varying level of experience and knowledge in specific areas of the electrical field.

I would like to post only one or a couple of words, terms or statements, at a time to see and understand everyone interpretation of the word or term, and based on their specific area of expertise, experience or specific discipline (EE,ME AR, PE, engineer, designer, contractor, inspector, etc) within the electrical field.

I would like to say there will be no wrong answers, and would like for all levels to reply without fear of belittlement, what is needed to meet the requirement of the specification or their understanding or interpretation of the term. It is the assumption that there is no other information available and no other source to contact for clarification of the term or statement you are the only deciding party as to how the condition will be met for you to commit company manpower, resources or compliance assurance. If you feel there are issues with any code, cost or labor issues, or a more clear statement please elaborate.

Your input will be greatly appreciated
Watt

1st

Each office net-work drops will consist of (2) Cat 6A cables, the raceway will be 1? RMT stubbed above the ceiling grid utilizing only sweep 90?s, installation of network will be ?by others?

:lol: :happyno: :happyyes: :D :eek: :rant: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

1" sweeps? are we talking about 2' radius 90's?

RFI on both that, and the EMT/RMC question.
if you can't RFI, then your quote should have clearly delineated what you
are doing for the price you give.

i've never seen RMC used for data stubs in walls, ever. emt and smurf only.

i'd read it as installation of network by others means you put in a conduit and pull string, and the
others install the cabling, patch panels, etc.

and it sounds like the engineer is very fuzzy in his wording. bummer.

i did a little office building that has electrical drawings like this.
all half inch conduits in 4S boxes shall have ground bushings, etc.

ever try to put 4 ground bushings in a 4S box behind a single gang mud ring?

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation
Do you treat the rest of the crew like that if any of them should make mistakes?
FWIW, and I'm not talking about anyone in particular, internet forums are a great place to go and vent about whose butt you would have kicked when you are semi anonymous and not within reach of whom you are talking about or to, but in my experience there is a lot less of this kind of thing in face to face relationships than it might seem from reading forums. It's a bit like "Dear Penthouse...." :D

kwired

Electron manager
I would be inclined to not bid to such a ambiguous spec. We would probably request some kind of clarification as to what is actually meant.

I am used to bidding to ambiguous specs. But most of the time the spec is only a basic floor plan and no electrical data at all. Most of the time I am OK with that as I am not really "bidding" as much as providing an estimate for budgeting reasons, and am probably doing the job. When I am truly bidding though it is a real PITA and unfair because other bidders are not exactly bidding on the same thing. You need to do a lot of explaining in the bid of what is covered and what is not covered to have much chance at winning the bid, because otherwise they will look at price alone and give to a low bid, then they come back later in the project and make up for what wasn't covered in change orders or flat out tell the owner something wasn't included in the original bid, and can get away with it because the owner has no evidence that they ever gave any specifications for whatever the dispute is about.

I try to tell them upfront that I don't like to play those kind of games, and will give them a bid based on items myself and owner agree on and I put those items in writing in whatever I submit.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
we don't bid to ambiguous specs. if we are forced to give someone a price for something they have not been able to define we will just spell out what we are planning to provide.

it is not always possible to define something as well as one would like early in the process and that is understandable but there is no way to bid (as in competitive bid) something that is undefinable.

there is a huge difference between a bid and an estimate.

kwired

Electron manager
there is a huge difference between a bid and an estimate.
I understand that very well. Clients on the other hand often see them as the same thing, and often times have no idea how much really goes into an electrical installation, and how much differences there can potentially end up being in a particular installation. All they care about at design and planning stages are the lights work and they plug things in and they work. They don't realize how much having different things in the space that need power can make a big difference in what is needed to power it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.