Battery damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainwireman

Two of my old headlamps that I haven't used in a couple years are completely ruined because of battery leakage. I have some rather expensive test and metering instruments and I am really concerned. Short of taking the batteries out, is there another solution? Do the modern rechargeable NiMH or lithium batteries have this potential problem?

SG-1

Two of my old headlamps that I haven't used in a couple years are completely ruined because of battery leakage. I have some rather expensive test and metering instruments and I am really concerned. Short of taking the batteries out, is there another solution? Do the modern rechargeable NiMH or lithium batteries have this potential problem?

Taking out the batteries is the only sure way if the instrument is going to be unused for a while. My experience so far is that standard alkaline batteries leak E... & D... Both companies have replaced several expensive flashlights. It does require some patience for the return process. They always honoured their product. The batteries cannot be mixed, by brand or date.

The only alkaline battery that I used that never leaked was Varta. I cannot get them locally anymore & they cost more.

I have not had a lithium battery or a rechargeable MiMH to leak, any brand.

One thing that will cause a leak is to drop the battery on a hard surface, like waist level onto a hard wood floor, in or out of the device. If I do drop one like that I set it aside in a container for at least three days & watch it. If it does not leak I will use it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Flashlight and battery enthusiasts (see candlepowerforums.com) recommend using low self discharge NiMH when rechargeables are OK and lithium chemistry for primaries if the equipment can take the different voltages they deliver.
Alkalines are disparagingly referred to as "alkaleaks" since the chemistry and design pretty much guarantee leakage with age whether they are used or not.
Any equipment that uses two or more lithium batteries (other than LiFePO4) has a risk for much worse than simple leakage if the batteries are not handled properly.
NiMH (such as Eneloops) seem to be your best bet for drop-in replacement use.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Will they pay to replace a $400 meter, or is it limited to flashlights?

I don't know about a meter that expensive, but they paid to replace an electronic bug repeller for me, along with a flashlight.

I do remember reading in the warranty they would repair or replace. The meter may be worth repairing, not so much with a flash light.

captainwireman

I guess it is time to take all batteries out. That brings up another issue. What is a safe way to carry batteries in a tool/meter/instrument bag? Do you recommend taping the ends? What is your method if they are already out of the package?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician

mivey

I guess it is time to take all batteries out. That brings up another issue. What is a safe way to carry batteries in a tool/meter/instrument bag? Do you recommend taping the ends? What is your method if they are already out of the package?
ZipLoc Freezer bags work good for me. Tape for 9V only if a concern but usually I just arrange them with tabs outward and roll the bag to keep them oriented.

SG-1

Will they pay to replace a $400 meter, or is it limited to flashlights?

One of the two manufactures mentioned replaced a $200 Pelican flashlight a few years back. I think the package used to say any device & gave an address. The only thing left to loose was the shipping charges to them.

RLyons

I have more of a problem with pens blowing up in my pockets then batteries in my multiple testers/lights. :lol:
I don't know if it's the nimh rechargeable or the energizer quick charger I was using, but the batteries wouldn't take a charge after more than a year and they really never lasted as long as non-rechargeable in my led head lamps. How long of non-use are you experiencing this?

mivey

Do you have any issues leaving the batteries out of your 289?
Why would you? I regularly take the batteries out of most of my meters lest I forget. Of course I don't use most of them regularly either.

I wish I could get into a routine of changing the batteries on my go-to meters on a regular basis but I tend to forget. Had a few close calls with those. Stupid batteries.

mgookin

You can buy battery packs off the shelf at Radio Shack (limited choices) or DigiKey. They are made in every configuration imaginable. Cut the leads off and make them safe. Velcro it to something near the meter, or to the meter. Your batteries will always be right on hand with pretty much no chance of instrument damage.

They make them in both plastic trays and also as a soft vinyl pouch with a flap & snap.

Cost around $1 each.

I wish I could get into a routine of changing the batteries on my go-to meters on a regular basis but I tend to forget. Had a few close calls with those. Stupid batteries.

Do it once a year, when you do the smoke detector batteries. I also write the date on the batteries when I change them; reminds me that some things chew through 'em faster than others.

mivey

Do it once a year, when you do the smoke detector batteries. I also write the date on the batteries when I change them; reminds me that some things chew through 'em faster than others.
I just don't have a good battery routine. I only change the smokes when they beep, seems like every 2-3 years. I'm just a slacker in that department.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I just don't have a good battery routine. I only change the smokes when they beep, seems like every 2-3 years. I'm just a slacker in that department.

Same here. I don't reset my clocks, either. I leave half of them on EST and the other half on DST. That was a result of an epiphany I had one year about half way through resetting them for the umpteenth time.

John120/240

Same here. I don't reset my clocks, either. I leave half of them on EST and the other half on DST. That was a result of an epiphany I had one year about half way through resetting them for the umpteenth time.

As long as you have the minutes set correctly it should't be too much of a problem to figure out what hour it is

Status
Not open for further replies.