Above grade (on the ground) wireway - request for ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

I need to get low voltage wiring across a 400' wide area that CANNOT be dug (enviromental reasons). Overhead is not an option.

Part of the route is grass. Part of the route is pavement - subject to truck traffic.

The pavement can be added to the pavement area.

What ideas ya got?

Merry Xmas

Bill

mgookin

I hesitate to even ask this question, but does it have to pass inspection? If yes, then whatever ideas you come up with, I suggest you run by the guy who will be doing the inspection.

On the pavement a speed bump comes to mind with an encased conduit. A word of advice if you don't want lots of angry drivers, use a very large radius and don't make it like a curb.

On the grass you're at least going to have to provide some sort of stability to the conduit or wireway. Can you pour concrete either continuously or at intervals which will stabalize whatever you decide on? I can't think of anything that can just lay on the ground for that distance that's already stable; maybe someone else can.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
On the grass you're at least going to have to provide some sort of stability to the conduit or wireway. Can you pour concrete either continuously or at intervals which will stabalize whatever you decide on? I can't think of anything that can just lay on the ground for that distance that's already stable; maybe someone else can.

Treated wood sleepers. Dig them in - stake them in. I have seen a few like this, but these were all areas of low to zero traffic.

ice

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see any reason that rigid conduit cannot be placed on the surface of the ground and secured in place. Maybe a strap and a landscape spike. On the road, a "speed bump" should be fine, but it will have to be designed so that the conduit will not be crushed by the traffic.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I need to get low voltage wiring across a 400' wide area that CANNOT be dug (enviromental reasons). Overhead is not an option.

Part of the route is grass. Part of the route is pavement - subject to truck traffic.

The pavement can be added to the pavement area.

What ideas ya got?

Merry Xmas

Bill

I'd be surprised if there wasnt some type of wireless option for whatever your trying to acheive.
What exactly is the Application?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'd be surprised if there wasnt some type of wireless option for whatever your trying to acheive.

I agree.
As advanced as wireless is now I would think there is something out there that would do what you want.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I agree.
As advanced as wireless is now I would think there is something out there that would do what you want.
That is, if the application is transmission of data or communications. Wireless is not (yet ;)) suitable for power transmission.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Depends on the vernacular of "low voltage". In NEC speak, that could mean up to 2,000 volts.

I always get tickled at how out of proportion some of these posts get by speculation when all we really need is the OP's response as to exactly what his situation is.

Jacob S

Is directional boring out of the question? The surface should remain untouched with only some digging on either end.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is directional boring out of the question? The surface should remain untouched with only some digging on either end.

One of the machine they use to lay gas pipe does not leave much evidence of the slitting. Somehow I might guess that is likely to be determined to be worse than laying conduit on the ground.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It's not out of the question... but for a 400' bore you'll likely need to get someone with a steerable boring system. Never priced such, but I suspect ($)$$$ compared to above grade or trenching.

Natfuelbilll

I always get tickled at how out of proportion some of these posts get by speculation when all we really need is the OP's response as to exactly what his situation is.

The voltages are network communications and 120v UPS power and 120v shutdown hard wired contact closures.

The directional drill is a neat idea. And I'll run it by the environmental man.

Wireless is a good possibility (and is my favored choice) but the controls engineer wants safety in hardwire

The sleepers is an idea to look at.

Isn't Laying conduit on the ground is a Code issue.

The project is in the northern and subject to freezing.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I am not aware of any electrical code rule that says you cannot run the raceway on the ground. The rules that require the raceway to be secured have to be complied with.

Raceway are often installed in wet locations in areas where the ambient falls well below freezing. Conduits in wet locations are required to be 'arranged so that they can drain. Conductor damage is common if the raceway fills with water and freezes, but if the raceway is arranged to drain that should not happen.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The voltages are network communications and 120v UPS power and 120v shutdown hard wired contact closures.

The directional drill is a neat idea. And I'll run it by the environmental man.

Wireless is a good possibility (and is my favored choice) but the controls engineer wants safety in hardwire

The sleepers is an idea to look at.

That's an interesting predicament and I can understand their belief in safety in the hardwiring.
I personally would never lay rigid pipe on top of the ground or make a "Parking Lot Long" speedbump to advertise my inability to come up with a more practical solution for this. Even if laying the pipe on top of the grass may be permitted nobody's going to want to trip over it,run over it, or mow around it. but that's just me.

JAP.

Natfuelbilll

I might need to reconsider overhead.

A bigass block of concrete. No bigger than that. set on the ground and used to hold steel poles vertical. With aerial strung between. High enough so sag is >16' above grade.

Natfuelbilll

When does conduit laid on the ground become a code violation once it settles into the sod/mud and takes on the appearance of being buried? It might be lower than the surface (buried) but not at a sufficient depth that is code compliant.

GerryB

When does conduit laid on the ground become a code violation once it settles into the sod/mud and takes on the appearance of being buried? It might be lower than the surface (buried) but not at a sufficient depth that is code compliant.

Seems to me a job big enough for an engineer should have someone above your pay grade telling you how to do it. Can't tell from your profile if you are an electrician or not, but rigid conduit would only need to be buried 6" in the grass area to be code compliant. What is the environmental concern? The main problem I see is crossing the parking lot with truck traffic? You can't just throw a little pavement over something and be code compliant or expect it to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.