Switched outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

I've posted this before:

A switched wall socket.
I've been asked if the US has an equivalent.

So, obviously I've come to the best source of knowledge on such matters that I know!
There are no prizes but I'd appreciate any help.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
No real equivalent. The closest would be a device which uses the same cover plate as a duplex receptacle but has one position occupied by a snap switch.
There is no internal interconnect, so the switch can be used for the receptacle or for a remote device.
The same form factor also offers a switch and a pilot light.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Besoeker

No real equivalent. The closest would be a device which uses the same cover plate as a duplex receptacle but has one position occupied by a snap switch.
There is no internal interconnect, so the switch can be used for the receptacle or for a remote device.
The same form factor also offers a switch and a pilot light.

Thanks Gold.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could use one of these or something similar and wire the switch to control the receptacle.

15amp_leviton_decora_rocker_switch_outlet_combo_5625_all__70631.1360279858.1280.1280.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
My guess is that they goofed when photoshopping the body of the device onto the yoke. Note that the terminals are reversed too but the lettering on the yoke is not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do you have these devices in the UK???? New car charging devices-- they get their power through the door. :lol:

ry%3D400

Besoeker

Do you have these devices in the UK???? New car charging devices-- they get their power through the door. :lol:
No. The pins have a different shape here and there is no need to polarise the slots - with three pins you can't stick it in the wrong way round..........obviously......:p

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
No. The pins have a different shape here and there is no need to polarise the slots - with three pins you can't stick it in the wrong way round..........obviously......:p
Since there is still a vigorous dispute in the US one whether the round pin should be at the top or at the bottom, you may need to turn your car upside down before driving it into the charger. :lol:

Besoeker

Since there is still a vigorous dispute in the US one whether the round pin should be at the top or at the bottom, you may need to turn your car upside down before driving it into the charger. :lol:
I won't - no such debate exists here....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.