Temp light

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Have not done much renovation work. If you have a commercial space about 25k sq ft and it will be a complete gut(demo). What do you usually use for temp light? Light stringers and stands? Thx

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Have not done much renovation work. If you have a commercial space about 25k sq ft and it will be a complete gut(demo). What do you usually use for temp light? Light stringers and stands? Thx

Yes, temp light stringers and maybe a few metal halide area lights. The stringers will provide both lights and power across the entire space. Don't forget your left handed lamps. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Left handed lamps??

Yup we still use all left handed lamps for temp light stringers. This goes back to the days where construction workers would steal the right handed lamps as fast as you could install them and take them home. ;)

mstrlucky74

Yup we still use all left handed lamps for temp light stringers. This goes back to the days where construction workers would steal the right handed lamps as fast as you could install them and take them home. ;)

Ok, why exactly? How does it prevent theft? What would they steal them for? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Typically temp light stringers are made up of 100 watt A19 lamps. These lamps were commonly used in many home light fixtures so guys would steal them as fast as you could put them in. The solution a left-handed socket and lamp that threaded backwards and couldn't be used in someones bedroom lamp. :roll:

mstrlucky74

Typically temp light stringers are made up of 100 watt A19 lamps. These lamps were commonly used in many home light fixtures so guys would steal them as fast as you could put them in. The solution a left-handed socket and lamp that threaded backwards and couldn't be used in someones bedroom lamp. :roll:

aaahhhh...thanks.

cadpoint

Whatever you string up, I'd take a look at the the other plans.

You can string them close, but away from HVAC, and other piping systems.
I don't care how careful there placed it always seems to be batted or run over by a system edit.

You also have to watch floor or roof penetrations because your circuit can get wet for weeks with bad weather.

Other things you can consider about your string is to maybe double up lights in the bathrooms or other large or awkward rooms and leave wire loops for rooms with overhead congestion.

Last job I ran 1" pvc down from the over down to six feet for power poles, it was funny how as-built
tables appeared underneath, later my wire reels.

Depending on site and conditions consider underground service from site power to the interior of building. PVC is inexpensive verses worring about exposed OH.

Last edited:

jumper

Yes, temp light stringers and maybe a few metal halide area lights. The stringers will provide both lights and power across the entire space. Don't forget your left handed lamps. :D

I thought the circuits had to separate.:?

590.4(D) Receptacles.
(1) All Receptacles. All receptacles shall be of the grounding
type. Unless installed in a continuous metal raceway
that qualifies as an equipment grounding conductor in accordance
with 250.118 or a continuous metal-covered cable
with 250.118, all branch circuits shall include a
separate equipment grounding conductor, and all receptacles
shall be electrically connected to the equipment
grounding conductor(s). Receptacles on construction sites
shall not be installed on any branch circuit that supplies
temporary lighting.

mstrlucky74

I thought the circuits had to separate.:?

590.4(D) Receptacles.
(1) All Receptacles. All receptacles shall be of the grounding
type. Unless installed in a continuous metal raceway
with 250.118 or a continuous metal-covered cable
with 250.118, all branch circuits shall include a
separate equipment grounding conductor, and all receptacles
shall be electrically connected to the equipment
grounding conductor(s). Receptacles on construction sites
shall not be installed on any branch circuit that supplies
temporary lighting.

Usually a plug is installed on the stringer for extension cords etc. to be plugged into. Not sure that qualifies as a receptacle

jumper

For powering another piece of equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head my feeble brain is saying not legal, but it is late and I am probably missing/misinterpreting something.:D

The 2008 said this:

(D) Receptacles. Receptacles on construction sites
shall not be installed on branch circuits that supply temporary
lighting. Receptacles shall not be connected to the
same ungrounded conductor of multiwire circuits that supply
temporary lighting.

I will look at this in the morning after some sleep.:)

I could easily be making a mistake.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Stringers are made up of 12/3 NM cable with one lighting and one power circuit. Here's some regional lingo, the lamp is installed in a left handed socket and the power is from a laundry drop.

kwired

Electron manager
Makes sense, but someone that is relatively new may not realize they are stealing something they really can't use, so lamps can still disappear.

That said I never knew they made such devices and lamps, would guess they are not all that cheap as they would not be produced/sold in nearly as large of quantities as standard lamps, and could be a big inconvenience when replacements are needed and you don't have any replacements readily available.

I have had more problems with broken bulbs in temp strings than I have ever had with missing lamps, I also come back to a job to find 200 or even 300 watt lamps installed in a socket only intended for 100 or 150 watt lamps, and cages removed because they won't fit that large of a lamp.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are those incandescent bulbs exempt from the ban?
I would imagine that left handed LEDs and CFLs may not be available.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

renosteinke

I am a huge fan of the "Wobblelight Junior." http://wobblelight.net/ It's slightly smaller, and uses the biggest CFL you've ever seen. Each puts out plenty of light- enough for detail paint work in a 12' x 12' room.

I would NOT set it on a table, as shown in the link. They will break the bulb WHEN they get knocked off. Keep them on the floor.

While they can be daisy-chained, the receptacle on them has proven to be a weak point. There's a 'heavy duty' version in orange, but I have not used it.

If all else fails, you can order them from Northern.

Status
Not open for further replies.