MC Cable and Arc Faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Just had a fellow Electrician tell me that he wired a house all in MC Cable and Metal Boxes and the Inspector Exempt him from having to install any Arc Fault Devices.
He indicated it was in the code book.
I disagreed without even looking in the code book.

I seldom do residential wiring.

Am I missing something?

JAP.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Just had a fellow Electrician tell me that he wired a house all in MC Cable and Metal Boxes and the Inspector Exempt him from having to install any Arc Fault Devices.
He indicated it was in the code book.
I disagreed without even looking in the code book.

I seldom do residential wiring.

Am I missing something?

JAP.

He can do it in rigid pipe and weatherproof boxes if he wants. He still has to use Arc fault breakers.
Unless the code year he is under does not require it.
It may be a local amendment but I would be surprised.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There are some provisions related to protection of a circuit by an AFCI receptacle with feed through rather than a AFCI breaker that have as a condition the type of wiring used between the panel and the device. But none that eliminate the AFCI completely.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jap

Occupation
Electrician
There are some provisions related to protection of a circuit by an AFCI receptacle with feed through rather than a AFCI breaker that have as a condition the type of wiring used between the panel and the device. But none that eliminate the AFCI completely.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This same inspector failed another project siting that "All 15 or 20 Amp 125 Volt receptacles falling in the GFI areas must be GFI Receptacles" and is not allowing him to use the Feed thru function of the GFI. The Contractor installed 4 outlets on 1 circuit and was intending on putting a GFI Receptacle in the first outlet to feed the other 3 down line.
The Inspector made him install 4 GFI Receptacles.

Sounds like we got a runaway on our hands.

ron

I thought you were going to say he didn't require anti-short bushings for MC, which is correct, only AC cable. MC cable has noting to do with arc fault devices that I know of.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I thought you were going to say he didn't require anti-short bushings for MC, which is correct, only AC cable. MC cable has noting to do with arc fault devices that I know of.

It does if you intend to install the Arc Fault Protection at the 1st outlet past the Overcurrent device in the Panel , which you can do, if the conductors are installed in Rigid, Imc, Emt or Mc Cable or buried in concrete or something , but it doesnt exempt you from having to install the Arc Fault Protection all together.
I think the Inspector quit reading the Exception before he read it all the way to the end.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The Contractor installed 4 outlets on 1 circuit and was intending on putting a GFI Receptacle in the first outlet to feed the other 3 down line.
The Inspector made him install 4 GFI Receptacles.

Sounds like we got a runaway on our hands.
And why did the inspector think that the box for the GFCI included so many "GFCI protected" labels?
Agreed, the guy is a train wreck. Does he have a supervisor or is the the entire AHJ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And why did the inspector think that the box for the GFCI included so many "GFCI protected" labels?
The NEC does not require the use of the "GFCI protected" labels except when you are replacing receptacles on a circuit that does not have an EGC per the rules in 406.(D)(2)(c).

grizwald

I'll catch some flak for this but, a lot of the inspectors out there are over whelmed with the constant change of the NEC. I'm referring to inspectors who are responsible for multiple trades, not just electrical. I've encountered a few that couldn't understand the Title 24 requirements in California...he simply said his way was how it is :happysad: He was right...he had the final say; even though he was wrong. Oh well:roll:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I'll catch some flak for this but, a lot of the inspectors out there are over whelmed with the constant change of the NEC. I'm referring to inspectors who are responsible for multiple trades, not just electrical. I've encountered a few that couldn't understand the Title 24 requirements in California...he simply said his way was how it is :happysad: He was right...he had the final say; even though he was wrong. Oh well:roll:

Were you able to explain it to him? If so I believe that the (any) inspector needs to back down.

dereckbc

Staff member
I would thiink a local code amendment. Working a remodel in my home and the local has amended AFCI to bedrooms and smokes only.

Status
Not open for further replies.