Long Wire Pulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Do youy think a labor factor should be on pulling wire where the run is very long, going through several pull points, bends etc. and the spec says the there are to be NO SPLICES from point to point. I would think the run does become tougher to pull.

Labor is definitely a big part of pulling wire, especially long pulls. But, it depends on how you are going to pull it. Do you have a tugger or a wire feeder? Or is this going to be pulled by hand?
What size wire is it? How many J-boxes are in the run and does it go straight through the J-box or out the side? Does the point of origination need to be shut down? And what is the weather like? If its cold....good luck

I am in charge of the one-line at my jobsite right now and those are the questions I ask myself before we start to pull our wire. It is VERY important to make sure all the ducks are in a row before pulling wire.

And just like everything else, it make look smooth on paper, but anything could go wrong in the middle. We recently were pulling a parallel feeder, and the first one went fine (we were using a tugger and wire feeder), but the second one broke the head about 5' after it came out.

All in all, yes labor is a big part if you are going to pull it by hand. But if you have a tugger and feeder, all you really need is, maximum, 6 people.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Labor is definitely a big part of pulling wire, especially long pulls. But, it depends on how you are going to pull it. Do you have a tugger or a wire feeder? Or is this going to be pulled by hand?
What size wire is it? How many J-boxes are in the run and does it go straight through the J-box or out the side? Does the point of origination need to be shut down? And what is the weather like? If its cold....good luck

I am in charge of the one-line at my jobsite right now and those are the questions I ask myself before we start to pull our wire. It is VERY important to make sure all the ducks are in a row before pulling wire.

And just like everything else, it make look smooth on paper, but anything could go wrong in the middle. We recently were pulling a parallel feeder, and the first one went fine (we were using a tugger and wire feeder), but the second one broke the head about 5' after it came out.

All in all, yes labor is a big part if you are going to pull it by hand. But if you have a tugger and feeder, all you really need is, maximum, 6 people.

i'm doing 800' pulls with two folks..... and the other guy is just standing there with his foot on a
tugger, to stop if something goes south....

thank god for simpull........ and running the pipe you are pulling.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Thanks guys...very informative. When is a tugger usually used??? For what sizes? Thanks
When it costs more in labor to pull by hand than the time it takes to set up the tugger, or when there is a lack of young guys with strong backs, weak minds, and extra testosterone on the crew.

If one guy can carry the reels of wire from the truck to the staging area you don't need a tugger.

GerryB

Wirepulls "going south"

Wirepulls "going south"

i'm doing 800' pulls with two folks..... and the other guy is just standing there with his foot on a
tugger, to stop if something goes south....

thank god for simpull........ and running the pipe you are pulling.

"going south" haven't heard that phrase in a while:D Probably comes from the Bible, "going down to Egypt", wasn't a good thing. I saw a few pulls go south. One was in a cable tray, outdoors at a power plant. We were pulling quite a ways through a double 90 or an offset and the wire jumped right out. There was an outbuilding right there where it jumped about the size of a shed and it slammed right into it and damaged it a bit. Nobody got hurt so it was pretty funny. Another one was a hospital riser, forget which floor, pulling up from the basement. I guess the fingers let loose. "What goes up must come down!" Then of course there's the "when you don't have a tugger" substitute, ie: the pick up truck, the back hoe (did that once) etc. Any body else got a "Going south story?

Status
Not open for further replies.