Extend control wiring for 8 KW generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

The generac 8 KW generator i'm wiring comews with a 30 ft line from transfer panel to outdoor box of the generator. Unfortunly, I still need maybe another 6+ ft. Because the 70 amp (#4 copp) conductors are thhn, to extend line; must I use also thhn conductors for the control wires. i'm not sure if those any of those 16 GU wires are 120/240 V, and cant find markings on them except there designation(n1,n2 ect). I have TFFN wire stranded, and not sure if that could be a problem if used.

HR...

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I've never seen thhn smaller than #14

For #16, TFFN, MTW are about your only choices. TFFN is a good choice.

ice

ceb58

The generac 8 KW generator i'm wiring comews with a 30 ft line from transfer panel to outdoor box of the generator. Unfortunly, I still need maybe another 6+ ft. Because the 70 amp (#4 copp) conductors are thhn, to extend line; must I use also thhn conductors for the control wires. i'm not sure if those any of those 16 GU wires are 120/240 V, and cant find markings on them except there designation(n1,n2 ect). I have TFFN wire stranded, and not sure if that could be a problem if used.

HR...

The N1 N2 are your utility sensing wires and will have 240V between them. If you have one that is marked T1 that is for the battery charger and it will have 120v to ground. Per Generac's statement you can add up to 10 feet of whip and not void warranty. The wire that you add must match what is there as far as insulation rating.

howardrichman

The N1 N2 are your utility sensing wires and will have 240V between them. If you have one that is marked T1 that is for the battery charger and it will have 120v to ground. Per Generac's statement you can add up to 10 feet of whip and not void warranty. The wire that you add must match what is there as far as insulation rating.

Talked w/ inspector today. Just as you said; All conductors must have same insulating rating, sa. THHN, since it matches the feed conductors, and also must be rated for wet locations sa. THHN/THWN. The small conductors in the packaged harness Generac uses w/ the 8 KW unit has no listing, but If I add to it, I'll have to install 5-14gu. conductors and tag them, along w/ the 3#4, and 1#10gu,; splice them in J-box, and transfer special connectors to the exterior J-box.
Thanks,
HR....

Status
Not open for further replies.