GFI Minimum distance from a sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.P.

Is there a minimum distance for a gfi to be mounted from the sink?

I ask because in a office building I roughed in there weren't any drawings for a coffee cabinet in the conference room. No plumbing was roughed in.
They just merely said somewhere in this corner.

I came back yesterday with a crew to trim out and the plumber put their sink drain right under my friggin GFI. The cabinet ( sans coutertop ) mounted there makes it pretty obvious that my GFI is now centered above the sink. ( Facepalm...)

I looked for a minimum distance but couldn't find one. On of my apprentices said somebody told him you could mount a GFI in a shower if you wanted to. That doesn't sound right.

I'm sure I overlooked the spec but I'm sure can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can have the gfci directly over the sink if you want-- not a good place but there is no code violation on that install.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If there will not be splash or stream of water from the sink hitting the GFCI, the only problem would be the convenience of plugging in a cord there.
If the Code considers behind the sink to be a wet area, then you will need to provide a wet area box and in use cover for the receptacle.
And, no, you would not be allowed to put the GFCI receptacle in a shower since it is not wet rated. Even if the GFCI trips there can be leakage from the input wiring in the box. Plus damage to the electronics.
Now a receptacle protected by a GFCI breaker..... :)

Tapatalk!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If there will not be splash or stream of water from the sink hitting the GFCI, the only problem would be the convenience of plugging in a cord there.
If the Code considers behind the sink to be a wet area, then you will need to provide a wet area box and in use cover for the receptacle.
And, no, you would not be allowed to put the GFCI receptacle in a shower since it is not wet rated. Even if the GFCI trips there can be leakage from the input wiring in the box. Plus damage to the electronics.
Now a receptacle protected by a GFCI breaker..... :)

Tapatalk!

The code does not IMO consider behind the sink a wet location. Also no recep. in shower even if installed with a gfci breaker--- see above post

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I was not suggesting that a GFCI breaker would make it compliant, just safe. A GFCI receptacle would be neither compliant nor safe. :)

Tapatalk!

J.P.

I suggest asking "they" whether they would like to pay you to move your outlet over a few feet.

I talked with office managed when he came out for a walkthrough today.
I told him it was safe, but inconvenient. He really gave no indication of being concerned about the location of the recep. It was the safety aspect that concerned him.

I'm more concerned with the fact that we look like monkeys with a recep mounted right above a sink with 2 feet of countertop off to the right of it.

Now will come the who was there first and who pays for what mistake game.

Thanks for the answers though, I appreciate it.

I'm off to put a GFI in my shower.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Just for grins, I will point out that if this had been residential, the outlet behind the sink would not have counted as the required outlet for the 2' countertop. At least not the way I interpret the diagrams. Unless there is a long distance from back of sink to wall. :)

Tapatalk!

GerryB

I told him it was safe, but inconvenient. He really gave no indication of being concerned about the location of the recep. It was the safety aspect that concerned him.

I'm more concerned with the fact that we look like monkeys with a recep mounted right above a sink with 2 feet of countertop off to the right of it.

Now will come the who was there first and who pays for what mistake game.

Thanks for the answers though, I appreciate it.

I'm off to put a GFI in my shower.

I guess you don't want to leave your card there. Cause you know down the line, the question will be, "Why'd the electrician put the plug there?":D

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Just for grins, I will point out that if this had been residential, the outlet behind the sink would not have counted as the required outlet for the 2' countertop. At least not the way I interpret the diagrams. Unless there is a long distance from back of sink to wall. :)

Tapatalk!

Exempt not prohibited.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
But....if I don't have an outlet how am I going to blow dry my hair in the shower???

Not to mention my electric teethbrush.

LOL I am sure many people will find a way to still try and do that-- that's why they make extension cords :D They would definitely be candidates for the Darwin Awards

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
:lol: That made me laugh!:lol:
I was hoping to generate either a laugh or a groan over the "tapakeyboard" thing.
If the Broncos don't win, I hope the Seahawks do!
Thanks for your (tentative) good wishes. I can't offer a reply-in-kind at this point in time, without potentially violating the eleventh commandment (you know, "Thou shalt not tempt thee thy fate").

growler

Is there a minimum distance for a gfi to be mounted from the sink?

I ask because in a office building I roughed in there weren't any drawings for a coffee cabinet in the conference room. No plumbing was roughed in.
They just merely said somewhere in this corner.

If they plan to have a coffee maker the cord is only going to be 2 ft. long. This may not work out very well. If they have a fire inspection they will not like the idea of extension cords.

I have found that management types are often not concerned about the location of outlets. You must explain that it is important to know the exact location of such things as counter tops and sinks. Let them know that extension cords are not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.