Isolated ground from receptacle to water meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello........
I need some guidance please.

Where might I find that this is wrong?

A circuit is ran from a panel to isolated ground receptacles.
The isolated grounds on these receptacles are going to be spliced and that ground will be brought back to the water meter.

The install will be in Canada.............but US or Canada it doesn't seem right.

Thank you.

Rich

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
AFAIK, the isolated ground is required to be brought back, directly or indirectly to the main bonding point, not to a ground electrode.

Tapatalk!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hello........

The isolated grounds on these receptacles are going to be spliced and that ground will be brought back to the water meter.

The install will be in Canada.............but US or Canada it doesn't seem right.

Thank you.

Rich
Try
250.146 (D) 2008 NEC

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Hello........

Thank you.

Rich

Don't know about Canada, but that would seem to be a violation of NEC 250.146(D).

ritelec

Try
250.146 (D) 2008 NEC

yes I did thank you....just saw mention of it having to be run with circuit conductors.

I think I'm also reading...terminate at the equipment grounding terminal.....

I think it doesn't say can't go back to the meter..........but does......thank you

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This tells me that with the receptacles themselves, the green ground terminal is not electrically connected to the metal piece that is used to screw the receptacles into the boxes. Is that what you have in mind?
I do not understand what you are describing here. What do you mean by ?spliced?? Are you saying that a wire will be connected from the green ground terminal of one receptacle to the green ground terminal of another receptacle, and perhaps from there to the green ground terminals of other receptacles, and that this wire will then be routed to the water meter?

If that is the situation under discussion, then I agree that this violates 250.146(D). The green ground terminals of two or more of this type receptacle can be connected to each other, but the wire must be run with the circuit conductors back to the service?s (or separately derived system?s) ground bar.

ritelec

This tells me that with the receptacles themselves, the green ground terminal is not electrically connected to the metal piece that is used to screw the receptacles into the boxes. Is that what you have in mind?

Not me..............

I do not understand what you are describing here. What do you mean by ?spliced?? Are you saying that a wire will be connected from the green ground terminal of one receptacle to the green ground terminal of another receptacle, and perhaps from there to the green ground terminals of other receptacles, and that this wire will then be routed to the water meter?

If that is the situation under discussion, then I agree that this violates 250.146(D). The green ground terminals of two or more of this type receptacle can be connected to each other, but the wire must be run with the circuit conductors back to the service?s (or separately derived system?s) ground bar.

here's the post....

Ugh - I really didn't want to be making any updates in this thread, but the GC's electrician subcontractor was at the site today doing some other stuff. I asked him again about the IG setup, and his reply was kind of troubling.

He actually *is* going to run the insulated ground conductors from the 3-prong receptacles to a dedicated ground #6 ground cable, which will be completely isolated from anything inside the panel. This ground cable will run to our water main entry, which is acceptable as a ground electrode under Canadian code. The "normal" main ground conductor is also connected at this point.

I'm still getting my head around all the issues related to residential grounding, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong. It seems to be gospel (in US code, anyway) that the ground conductor and neutral *must* be bonded inside the service panel to provide a low resistance (and physically protected) return path for current in the event of a ground fault.

I have a copy of the Canadian code version applicable in Quebec from the library, and will try to find the section where this is covered - could also call the city building department. They don't generally do inspections, but could probably answer the question and point to correct portion of code.

I'm also pretty sure this is useless in preventing the kind of ground loops that are problematic in audio. As I understand it:

- AC wiring around the house emits time-varying magnetic fields
- Faraday's law says that a voltage (emf) will be induced in any closed loop, proportional to the time-rate-of-change of the magnetic flux (basically the intensity of the magnetic field added up over the area of the loop)
- the building ground conductor, grounded receptacles, and shield conductors in audio cables can form such a loop
- the current around the loop will be the induced voltage divided by the total resistance in the loop
- voltage differences between different points in the loop depend on how resistances are distributed around the circuit

Whether the ground conductors of my receptacles are connected directly to the water main, or to a bus in the panel that is in turn connected to that water main, a loop is a loop and the above points should still apply. I can see how it would help to break the loop with an isolation transformer, or reduce the area of the loop like John Brandt suggests, but don't see any benefit to fancy grounding schemes like this...

The discussion was in French (which I speak ok, but am at a disadvantage in debates like this) and he was just kind of blathering on about "the frequencies put out by the equipment" and "this is how it's done for commercial printers". I will tell him to quit with the isolated ground BS, but would like to give an informed and convincing explanation why it's BS (and possibly dangerous) so as to hopefully avoid paying for it.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Hello........

Thank you.

Rich

Are you (they) trying to use:

250.130 Equipment Grounding Conductor Connections.
(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch
Circuit Extensions.

Or do you (they) think that this can be performed whenever?

ritelec

"They" are installing wiring in a studio build and trying to avoid ground loops .....noise....

The post started with a panel located in the studio having adverse affects (emf) then went over to the loop thing...

Personally, in my build I don't have the panel located there............ and as far as ground loop............... well, I installed a unit that creates balanced (symmetrical) clean power.......
totally non compliant for residence....... but works for me :D

(I looked high and low..........isolated transformer.....audio........ sorry can't find it (the article), but it's in there...............((it's ok in commercial, not residence)) as I see it, how does this thing know
if it's sitting in a commercial building or in my basement????)

ritelec

Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

I'm having a though time getting my head around it and finding it code compliant.

We are not discussing a "junction box" here for the purposes of discussion - we are talking about a dedicated grounding panel (it has to have a grounding buss.)

The neutral on any and all circuits has to terminate at the neutral buss located inside of the electrical panel of any circuit provided from that panel - to do otherwise would be a code violation.

This really isn't that deep - you are looking for things that have nothing to do with the question at hand........

Explain to me what you think is wrong here......

Inside of a main panel the neutral and ground are bonded........ right?

Now - if I install a grounding buss in a separate panel outside of the main - and take my equipment grounds to that point instead of the ground buss in the main (the body ground of the outlet (along with the box if it is metallic) are still being tied to the grounding buss in the main panel) and I then take an adequately sized cable from that buss to a point on the grounding cable that runs from the main panel to the system ground, and I make a secure connection before the ground rod.......... what (from the perspective of the laws of physics as they would apply to grounding and bonding of ground to neutral) is "different"?

The ground is still connected to the ground prior to connection to the ground rod........

The ground is still bonded to the neutral via the grounding cable it is connected to.......

The neutral is still connected to both the power company and the building ground via the bond installed between the grounding buss and the neutral buss, and the body of the outlet (and the box as might apply) is still directly connected to the grounding buss located within the main panel........

So seeing as everything is still tied to everything else exactly the same as they would be if you connected directly to the buss in the main panel....... what is it you picture in your mind will not work properly, and therefor creates a code violation?

ritelec

Unfortunately, it is not necessary for something to not work for it to be a code violation. :)

Tapatalk!

Does it look like a violation of 250.146 (D) to you ???

????

250.146 (D) Isolated receptacles. Where installed for the reduction of electrical noise (electromagnetic interference) on the grounding circuit, a receptacle in which the grounding terminal is purposely insulated from the receptacle mounting means shall be permitted. The receptacle grounding terminal shall be connected to an insulated equipment grounding conductor run with the circuit conductors. This equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to pass through one or more panelboards without a connection to the panelboard grounding terminal bar as permitted in 408.40. Exception, so as to terminate within the same building or structure directly at an equipment grounding conductor terminal of the applicable derived system or service. Where installed in accordance with the provisions of this section, this equipment grounding conductor shall also be permitted to pass theough boxes, wireways, or other enclosures without being connected to such enclosures.

Informational Note: Use of an isolated equipment grounding conductor does not relieve the requirements for grounding the raceway system and outlet boxes.

Not sure but it may possibly fit.

ritelec

Can the grounds be brought to such a location other than the ground location at the service panel..............

Shoot...........can they go straight through the service panel and directly to the water ground along with the electrode conductor???

ritelec

ok.......so if you went not to the water pipe itself............and went to the grounding electrode conductor...........that wouldn't work either.......
because you where going to the grounding electrode conductor and not the equipment ground conductor.........

GOOD CALL !!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

I'm having a though time getting my head around it and finding it code compliant.

We are not discussing a "junction box" here for the purposes of discussion - we are talking about a dedicated grounding panel (it has to have a grounding buss.)

The neutral on any and all circuits has to terminate at the neutral buss located inside of the electrical panel of any circuit provided from that panel - to do otherwise would be a code violation.

This really isn't that deep - you are looking for things that have nothing to do with the question at hand........

Explain to me what you think is wrong here......

Inside of a main panel the neutral and ground are bonded........ right?

Now - if I install a grounding buss in a separate panel outside of the main - and take my equipment grounds to that point instead of the ground buss in the main (the body ground of the outlet (along with the box if it is metallic) are still being tied to the grounding buss in the main panel) and I then take an adequately sized cable from that buss to a point on the grounding cable that runs from the main panel to the system ground, and I make a secure connection before the ground rod.......... what (from the perspective of the laws of physics as they would apply to grounding and bonding of ground to neutral) is "different"?

The ground is still connected to the ground prior to connection to the ground rod........

The ground is still bonded to the neutral via the grounding cable it is connected to.......

The neutral is still connected to both the power company and the building ground via the bond installed between the grounding buss and the neutral buss, and the body of the outlet (and the box as might apply) is still directly connected to the grounding buss located within the main panel........

So seeing as everything is still tied to everything else exactly the same as they would be if you connected directly to the buss in the main panel....... what is it you picture in your mind will not work properly, and therefor creates a code violation?
What's wrong is there are a lot of techie types that have not moved on and joined the 21st century.

From the start of electrical power till the 1980's you could get away with a lot of bad wiring and not have too many problems. Then electronics started to take over our lives. Along came the Voodoo Engineer Witch Doctor and his particular cure for evil ground spirits ooooohh eeeee oooooo wooooo......Run a wire during a full moon, stab it in the dirt during the spring solstice, he would say........Cut that green wire, bring it straight to the earth and bleed off the wickedness before it can abominate others in the room, another would say......No, no, no, you must use only even number feet of wire on odd numbered days of the week in odd numbered months of the per-Gregorian calender or lightning will strike continually at your facility.....Use a halo ground, nothing can penetrate the halo..... and on it would go.

In the mean time the equipment got better and the wiring got better, and if everybody did their job the way they were supposed to harmony was restored. Problem was... any time there was a problem someone still wanted to blame the green wire, so......

The NEC allows you to run a single green wire back to the service panel where there is supposed to be the one and only place where the grounded and grounding conductor meet. It does not allow you to skip the service and go straight to the ground rod, water pipe, or what ever even if you are bringing that green wire back to the service in its own round about way. Since that round about way ends up at the same point anyway, it is nothing other than a waste of wire.

ritelec

Help me out here please......

It seams to be under the understanding of the other person that the electrode ground (water, rod, etc...) is the service ground terminal and therefore applies to the 450 and 480 articles....

Is this correct or would the service ground terminal be in the first panel...AT THE " TERMINAL" ?

thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
And if you take a shorter route to the electrode, you are not running your wire with the rest of the circuit conductors.

Tapatalk!

Help me out here please......

It seams to be under the understanding of the other person that the electrode ground (water, rod, etc...) is the service ground terminal and therefore applies to the 450 and 480 articles....

Is this correct or would the service ground terminal be in the first panel...AT THE " TERMINAL" ?

thank you.
The NEC doesn't use the term "service ground terminal", but does require connection to a grounding electrode at the service equipment, clear as mud?

One reason all conductors of a circuit including an equipment grounding conductor are required to be run in same raceway or cable is to reduce impedance of the circuit during a ground fault event. By routing that equipment grounding conductor away from other circuit conductors you don't have field cancellation effects that you have when all conductors of the circuit are in close proximity to one another and this will increase the impedance of the circuit, which will be a limiter for fault current, which we want as low of impedance possible so that more current flows. The more current the faster the trip time for the overcurrent device, too much impedance can change trip time from milliseconds to several seconds pretty easily.

Run the isolated ground all the way to the service equipment without connecting to anything else along the way, but run it with the circuit conductors. The water pipe is connected to the service anyway via a GEC so I fail to see how a "ground loop" is avoided it just takes a different path.

Status
Not open for further replies.