Electrode to be exothermic weld or crimp or??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I think it is worth noting that your photo is listed to be used for compliance with 250.94. The reason I mention this is that the 2014 NEC has clarified that the bonding bar installed for 250.94 cannot be used for connecting GEC conductors other than low voltage systems.
That said, I would have no issue with using this, as long as it complied for sizing, and you had a second one to comply with 250.94.

I did not know that. TY

250.94 Bonding for Other Systems.

If I ran a #4 through it to the metal water line continuous could it be used like a tap?

ritelec

Look carefully at the image don (edit, sorry it was Rob's image not don's) posted again. The GEC is 2 AWG. It attaches to the electrode on one end and the other end doesn't terminate at either of the service disconnect enclosures. The connections between each service disconnecting means and the GEC are bonding jumpers.

???

Because the larger GEC sized for the main service conductors are 2's.......... then knocked down to the 8 and 4..........
the 8 and 4 are not considered to be GEC???

The two disconnects do not have a electrode to there ground neutral bond? Even though they do..??
But don't.........now it's a jumper.............

hold on..I gotta sit down............. :sick:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
???

Because the larger GEC sized for the main service conductors are 2's.......... then knocked down to the 8 and 4..........
the 8 and 4 are not considered to be GEC???

The two disconnects do not have a electrode to there ground neutral bond? Even though they do..??
But don't.........now it's a jumper.............

hold on..I gotta sit down............. :sick:

The GEC ends at the end of the #2. The other connections are bonding jumpers. Bonding jumpers tapped from a GEC are sized according to the SEC's feeding each individual service disconnect.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Look carefully at the image don (edit, sorry it was Rob's image not don's) posted again. The GEC is 2 AWG. It attaches to the electrode on one end and the other end doesn't terminate at either of the service disconnect enclosures. The connections between each service disconnecting means and the GEC are bonding jumpers.

If I were doing the install pictured I would probably run the GEC unspliced to the 200 amp disconnect instead of reducing the conductor size but either way is acceptable.

Disagree. They are GECs. Bonding jumpers are between electrodes.

250.53 Grounding Electrode System Installation.
(C) Bonding Jumper. The bonding jumper(s) used to connect
the grounding electrodes together to form the grounding
electrode system........

250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation.
(D) Service with Multiple Disconnecting Means Enclosures.
(2) Individual Grounding Electrode Conductors. A
grounding electrode conductor shall be connected between
the grounded conductor in each service equipment disconnecting
means enclosure and the grounding electrode system.

kwired

Electron manager
Disagree. They are GECs. Bonding jumpers are between electrodes.

250.53 Grounding Electrode System Installation.
(C) Bonding Jumper. The bonding jumper(s) used to connect
the grounding electrodes together to form the grounding
electrode system........

250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation.
(D) Service with Multiple Disconnecting Means Enclosures.
(2) Individual Grounding Electrode Conductors. A
grounding electrode conductor shall be connected between
the grounded conductor in each service equipment disconnecting
means enclosure and the grounding electrode system.

You might sell me on 250.64,(D)(1) but not 250.64(D)(2), (D)(1) is talking about "taps" to multiple service enclosures, (D)(2) is talking about separate GEC's to each of the multiple service enclosures.

250.53(C) has nothing to do with multiple service enclosures.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You might sell me on 250.64,(D)(1) but not 250.64(D)(2), (D)(1) is talking about "taps" to multiple service enclosures, (D)(2) is talking about separate GEC's to each of the multiple service enclosures.

250.53(C) has nothing to do with multiple service enclosures.

250.53 (C) was about what a bonding jumper was. GECs are not bonding jumpers was my point.

kwired

Electron manager
250.53 (C) was about what a bonding jumper was. GECs are not bonding jumpers was my point.
250.64(D)(1) calls the conductors in question "grounding electrode conductor taps". I now agree bonding jumper may not be the correct name.

If we go to Art 100 definition of grounding electrode conductor it says :A conductor used to connect the system grounded conductor or the equipment to a grounding electrode or to a point on the grounding electrode system.

I think the conductor in question falls under the "to a point on the grounding electrode system" part of that definition.

That said the simple and likely less cost way to install the grounding electrode system in the photo with two service disconnects is to run the main GEC to the gutter ahead of the disconnects instead of making taps to each disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.