MOTOR REPLACEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bure961

When replacing a 3phase 460 motor of 15hp and above after 10years or more of being in service should any other information besides nameplate data be considered when replacing a motor? Is energy efficiency something to considered ? Thanks for any added information for replacement .

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
When replacing a 3phase 460 motor of 15hp and above after 10years or more of being in service should any other information besides nameplate data be considered when replacing a motor? Is energy efficiency something to considered ? Thanks for any added information for replacement .
If the replacement will be the same 15hp for the output power and the efficiency is higher that mean the input power will be less, as long your existing system was working properly that mean you are ok. Perhaps i'm missing something here.

bure961

Thanks for your reply . I am asking is there anything else I should consder when replacing a motor. Afte r years of service and newer and maybe better motors are out there is the nameplate all i have to know ? Thanks again.

kwired

Electron manager
If the replacement is higher efficiency it likely will have a different current rating and may need overload protection adjusted, it also may have a different locked rotor rating and this could effect whether or not the short circuit/ground fault protection holds during starting as well. Otherwise a 15 hp motor should still be able to deliver 15 hp to the driven load as long as the base values of voltage, frequency, speed remain the same, same frame size would mean it should fit with no modifications necessary.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
New energy codes in most areas will require you to use an energy efficient motor now, unless you can prove that the application is so specialized or runs so seldom as to make that impractical. In fact most motor shops will just provide you with an energy efficient motor now without asking unless you specifically call for a non-EE replacement motor.

What kwired said is a real issue that people often encounter when installing new EE motors as a result of this change. The mag trips on motor starter breakers often cannot hold in at the same settings, and then sometimes they cannot even be turned up high enough and you have to bump up the breaker frame size. The NEC makes allowances for this now in that if you prove that a setting will not work, you can increase the mag trip to 17x the FLA (it used to be 13x). But breakers usually stop at 10x the frame rating, so if you are at the ragged edge of a breaker frame size, you can get in trouble. I don't think that will happen to you at 15HP though.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
For the energy efficient motors the input power is less for the same output power, that means the input current will be smaller, am i right?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The Full Load Amps will be lower (unless for some reason the PF is much lower.)
But the Locked Rotor Amps and starting current could still be higher.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.