NFPA Response to my question

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I sent a request in to get an interpretation back on May 31.

DOES 240.21 PROHIBIT THE USE OF PARALLELED CONDUCTORS AS TAP CONDUCTORS OR THE EXTENSION OF TAP CONDUCTORS WITH APPROPRIATELY SIZED PARALLELED CONDUCTORS?

I had not heard anything back so I figured I would ask about it. I sent them an email. They said they had responded on June 5 and copied me the email response.

They had a typo in my email address so I never got it.

This was the response.

"No, however the requirements of 310.10(H) and 110.14(B) must be followed."

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I sent a request in to get an interpretation back on May 31.

DOES 240.21 PROHIBIT THE USE OF PARALLELED CONDUCTORS AS TAP CONDUCTORS OR THE EXTENSION OF TAP CONDUCTORS WITH APPROPRIATELY SIZED PARALLELED CONDUCTORS?

I had not heard anything back so I figured I would ask about it. I sent them an email. They said they had responded on June 5 and copied me the email response.

They had a typo in my email address so I never got it.

This was the response.

"No, however the requirements of 310.10(H) and 110.14(B) must be followed."

Glad you asked the question because I am getting ready to do both and now we have a definitive answer. Right?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Glad you asked the question because I am getting ready to do both and now we have a definitive answer. Right?
Not necessarily; it was an NFPA staffer's opinion. The email must have said something to that effect. You can't get a Formal Interpretation (FI) in 5 days AND per NFPA rules it can only be answered "yes" or "no" with no further comment. Drafting an NFPA compliant request for an FI is a real pain.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
FWIW: I agree with the answer, but my agreement carries less weight than theirs :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not necessarily; it was an NFPA staffer's opinion. The email must have said something to that effect. You can't get a Formal Interpretation (FI) in 5 days AND per NFPA rules it can only be answered "yes" or "no" with no further comment. Drafting an NFPA compliant request for an FI is a real pain.

The reply said section 6-1.4(a) of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects does not permit a formal interpretation that involves the determination of compliance of a design, installation, product or equivalency of protection. However, I can provide a staff opinion.

I don't see where the question violated one of those rules. But, apparently it did in some way.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
guess I don't understand your "apparently it did" statement.... someone have an opinion that it is a violation ? does not appear the NFPA fellow thought so ....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The reply said section 6-1.4(a) of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects does not permit a formal interpretation that involves the determination of compliance of a design, installation, product or equivalency of protection. However, I can provide a staff opinion.

I don't see where the question violated one of those rules. But, apparently it did in some way.
Did you submit a "formal interpretation request form? It appears that you have to make a specific request for a FI, not just a question submitted to the NFPA.
http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stand...ss/tias-errata-and-fis/formal-interpretations

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I submitted it on their Formal Interpretation Request Form.
Obviously it didn't matter.

See Sections 6.1.2 and 6.3 of the Regulations Governing Committee Projects. Even if it does pass Section 6.1.4 muster it is a LONG process to get an FI. I've been on both the sending and receiving ends and NFPA staff does everything it can do to avoid passing an FI along to a TC or CMP.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Obviously it didn't matter.

See Sections 6.1.2 and 6.3 of the Regulations Governing Committee Projects. Even if it does pass Section 6.1.4 muster it is a LONG process to get an FI. I've been on both the sending and receiving ends and NFPA staff does everything it can do to avoid passing an FI along to a TC or CMP.

Better known as, we just write it, we don't interpet it.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Better known as, we just write it, we don't interpet it.
No, it means NFPA Staff can only offer opinions; FIs can only be made by a TC or CMP. Basically neither Staff, TC nor CMP writes Code; they can only respond to formally offered Public Input.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
No, it means NFPA Staff can only offer opinions; FIs can only be made by a TC or CMP. Basically neither Staff, TC nor CMP writes Code; they can only respond to formally offered Public Input.

Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.